Unanswered: Select distinct month/year

I have a little quandary, probably not too difficult to solve. I'll just make this simple:

I have a table tblDosageINR, with a column dteCollDate, which would be a short date field to hold the month/day/year a patient's lab results were collected.

I want to write a query that will select distinct dates, but I only want the distinct months and years, not months, days, and years.

Is there a function in MS Access that will allow me to do this? If not, I may have to change a few things.
    "Unix is user friendly... It's just very picky about its friends."

The best things in life...are well-documented.

Semi-fix

Code:
    SELECT DISTINCT DatePart('m',  dteCollDate) AS Month, DatePart('yyyy', dteCollDate) AS Year
    FROM tblDosageINR;
    This is the...partial fix I've employed, but the month and year are in separate columns. : \ I'm not entirely familiar with using the DatePart function, so when I tried to put ", 'yyyy'" after 'm', it...didn't like that very much.

Any input, very appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by atsukoarai86
    I have a little quandary, probably not too difficult to solve. I'll just make this simple:

I have a table tblDosageINR, with a column dteCollDate, which would be a short date field to hold the month/day/year a patient's lab results were collected.

I want to write a query that will select distinct dates, but I only want the distinct months and years, not months, days, and years.

Is there a function in MS Access that will allow me to do this? If not, I may have to change a few things.

Provided Answers: 1
    The problem here is there is no "month/year" datatype available in Access. You get datetime, or datetime...

How about taking a slightly different approach and converting your dates to be the 1st of the month?

I'm using DateAdd() here to avoid an explicit conversion between a string and a date. Another way would be to pull the month and year, then inject a "/1/" between them and convert to a string. I think the performance hit there is unacceptable:

SELECT DISTINCT DateAdd('d', -DatePart('d', dteCol1Date) + 1, dteCol1Date)
    FROM yourTable
    Last edited by Teddy; 07-09-09 at 18:21.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Hmmmmmm... I will see how that works.

hmm... I'm having a brain fart right at this very moment... trying to articulate why I'm doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    The problem here is there is no "month/year" datatype available in Access. You get datetime, or datetime...

How about taking a slightly different approach and converting your dates to be the 1st of the month?

I'm using DateAdd() here to avoid an explicit conversion between a string and a date. Another way would be to pull the month and year, then inject a "/1/" between them and convert to a string. I think the performance hit there is unacceptable:

SELECT DISTINCT DateAdd('d', dteCol1Date, -DatePart('d', dteCol1Date) - 1)
    FROM yourTable