Thread: Noob Help

Unanswered: Noob Help

So, I am familiar with querying databases, and can link tables etc, but I do not fully understand what exactly MySQL does and why there are so many databases and why it matters which 'drivers' to use. I have queryied SQL databases through Crystal, and I have queryied Oracle 9 databases through Query Builder (both at work). But I still don't quite understand the role MySQL and Oracle play or why it matters which to use. Isn't all of the commands the same (SELECT, FROM, etc)?

I just installed Coldfusion on my Macbook and have gotten everything to work, and it comes with about 4 different database connections (I guess samples), but how can I query these to see what tables and fields are in them? If I download MySQL will it work? Do I have to figure out what 'kind' of database it is first? Can I get to a command line (like SQL Plus) so that I can do my query?

Sorry for such a noob question,

Mike

Provided Answers: 59
    the server part of a data base is where data is stored , manipulated and sorted/filtered for use in your end user program. having downloaded coldfusion I'm guessing that you are going down the route of a web based/type application. you don't need a database to make a web app/page work, but for some applications / web sites you may need to.

you would need a database storage engine if say you are allowing users to query data, narrow down their requirements. this site ferinstance uses a database to manage the threads and posts. if your site was whats called static (eg inforamtion that doesn't really change, doesn't have much user interaction adn doesn't provide a lot of data, then you probably don't need a db. Early so called "dynamic" sites used software like coldfusion to integrate the data with the website (the presentation bit).

the drivers mentioned are the mechanism of how an application talks to the database backend. all database products require a driver to 'talk' to the outside world. some times they are already ont he computer, most times they are installed along with the database or the application (in this case coldfusion).

if you need to use a data back end, then you don't neccesarily need to install a database on your own computer.. the database can be on any computer that your computer (and webserver use). its very common to have two systems (one for development.. this is usually on your own computer/s), and one for live.. ie where others can use the application. you do not want to be developing on a live website, although there is no reason why you cannot use a remote database. however as databases are potetnailly a security risk its relatively rare that an ISP will allow access to their database serveres from outside their security system.

talking of ISP's you need to decide waht your site is about, what it needs and based on that then go and find out what either your ISP can offer, what you can afford and so on. being an Apple user you may find the preferred choices are slightly different to other users. So lets assume you do need a database backend, you do need some form of scripting front end (coldfusion) then you need to find an ISP that supports both.

I suspect that MySQL will probably be the weapon of choice for your data storage (assuming you need a database). for whats its worth I think you will be better off downloading something like XAMP which will install a db, web server (for testing purposes), various tools to interact with the webserver and database.

I'd suggest you also download the GUI tool from the MySQL database

unless you have a confirmed reason to use coldfusion I['d suggest you consider a webscripting language like PHP, which comes as part of the XAMPP package.

there are good resources on the web and how to develop web stuff at www.w3schools.com and of ocurse if you are suing PHP there is www.php.net

good luck with your project
    Last edited by healdem; 07-11-09 at 06:02.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Healdem,

Thank you for the awesome response, really helped a lot.

I am trying to load MySQL from the source and trying to copy the tar.gz to /usr/local/src and unpack. I THOUGHT I copied it using cp, but I can't ls the directory. It says not found. See screenshot. I cd to /usr, then cd to local, then do ls and I see 'src' but I can't go into it. Says it isn't a directory. Can it be a file? When I did the cp tar.gz to this directory, did it just copy it in /usr/local and name the file src? I did "sudo cp mysql....tar.gz /usr/local/src" without checking if there was even an src directory created. But when I mkdir, it says filename taken or something like that. How can I find out without deleting a DIRECTORY that has important stuff in it?

Silly questions I'm sure, but I'm a Windows guru at heart although I love Unix/Linux I am still learning.

HTTP colon //i87 DOT photobucket DOT com/albums/k123/HaleyBella/Picture3.png

To answer your question about my intentions: I work in Accounting at my company and would like to setup an intranet sort of application that accesses the accounting system's db to generate financials (income statement, etc.). I have seen it done with CF at my previous company, and I know exactly how it's pictured in my head, I just have to sit down and code it. I'm picturing an input page, where I have a dropdown of the company's to choose from and then which 'report' I would like to run from a certain 'period'. I am learning CF and wanted to practice querying a test db on my computer so thats why i have CF and MySQL, etc. At work, we use Oracle 9i and Query Builder to run any queries we need (aside from the reports we can just run from our Accounting Software). I hope that helps.

Thanks
    MIke
    Last edited by bound4h; 07-11-09 at 22:36.

if you are not up to speed on installing software on Unix platforms then I'd strongly reccommend you use the XAMPP package.. it works.

as regards coldfusion, ultimtely its your choice..its not what I'd reccommend for a newbie.. but ultiamtely if that floats yer boat......

Can you speak to the /usr/local/src issue I am having? Why would I not be able to cd src? Could src be a file? How could I check?

In the unix world src is usually a directory that contaisn the source hence its called src
    the directory is probably protected by passwords and the like
    you also may need to change the permissions,. installign binaries is a heck of a lot easier.

the first installations I did on Unix systems years ago were source packages. but I haven't conciously done a source isntallation in years... I've done a bit with SUSE's install package which works fine.

If I were you I'd drop the idea of installing from source, instead try installing a binary from XAMPP. it means you dont' have to worry about such things as source directories, you don't have to worry about compatability issues, and whats more you will get a trial server setup, and other things useful for development.

failing that if you must go down the route you are then I'd suggest you ask somebody on probably an Apple focussed site who know how you install what you want on an apple sytem. persoanlly I don't use Apple as I think they are a pain to work with, have lousy support and are horrendously overpriced.. but thats just my ratbag of prejudices

changing directorries and making directories is different in the unix world

Please don't post a thread with a title of Noob help. It does not describe what your thread is about. it doesn't tell people if they would find a similar problem and solution when they are looking for help.

try to explain your thread in the title.

perhaps a moderator can edit this?