Provided Answers: 1

Question Unanswered: Migrate programs 4gl for java?

Hi,
    I need to migrate programs informix-4gl to java, ¿somebody can tell me whether there are some aplication for this activity?

Thank you for you help.

The short answer is no, there's no "conversion" between informix-4gl and java. You need to hire a programmer preferably with experience in both.

Hi, I am in the same boat as you.

My company is also migrating from informix to oracle.
    I am also trying to figure out how to convert 4gl to another langauges because we have hundreds of 4gl programs.

I have tried aubit 4gl but it cannot install in our Linux server.
    The other tools seem to required lots of $$$$ because the vendors don't dare to post the price on their web. Unfortunately, our IT budget is limited.

Hopefully, someone could develop a freeware to do the conversion.

Why migrate?
    You can do anything more usefull then you do with Informix-4gl?

If wanna go to java, you can try to convert your code to EGL or rational and then you can produce java code.
    But i didn´t try that yet!

That is not my decision to make, the top management want to use Red Hat Linux with Oracle because the cost lesser tha HPUX with informix.

Our HPUX server is already 10 years old and the cost support contract is getting higher and higher.

Hi, do you use 4GL Rapid Development System (RDS) or compiled 4GL. Because the latter first compiles 4GL to ESQL-C and that to pure C code. This C program is then compiled to an executable. If you know a tool that can convert C to Java (more or less) you can keep the produced ESQL-C and C sources with a specific flag/option of the 4GL compiler. Don't know which anymore but the 4GL Reference will tell you everything.

Good luck,
    Hans

The informix 4GL belong to older version. If the management want to upgrade.
    I don't have such a big headache right now

Conversion to ESQL/C or C will not work because the programs refer to library files from IBM for HPUX. They are not using ODBC for Linux.
    Therefore, it won't work on Linux.

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi Gurus,

Somebody can help me with this task, I am using Rational Business Developer for migrate informix 4gl to java.

Thank you for you help.