Unanswered: WHERE Argument of OpenReport Needs Alias?

I have a report based on a query something along the lines of
    Code:
    SELECT ..., [tblName].[fldName] AS [AliasName], ...
    FROM ...
    ORDER BY... '
    I have a form that builds a WHERE string based on input from the user. I build this WHERE string into the above query in VBA (so it's all one SQL statement) and use this successfully to create a query recordset (so I know the WHERE string works).

I then try to open a report using this WHERE string like:
    Code:
    DoCmd.OpenReport "rptName", acViewPreview, , strWHERE
    with part of the WHERE string like:
    Code:
    ... ([tblName].[fldName] IN ('CaseA', 'CaseB')) AND ...
    At this point it gives me that annoying "Enter Parameter Value" pop-up, basically it can't figure out what [tblName].[fldName] is (even though it's in the source query).

When I try
    Code:
    DoCmd.OpenReport "rptName", acViewPreview, , "([AliasName] IN ('CaseA', 'CaseB'))"
    that works fine. But that's not the way I already have the WHERE string built, unfortunately.

And here's the part I really can't figure out, I took this same setup from an Access database with the tables inside of it, and it worked fine. Now I have an Access FE with a SQL Server BE and it's giving me these headaches.

Anyone seen this behavior before? Know how to fix it?
    Me.Geek = True

For anyone with the same problem, couldn't figure out a direct solution to the problem. So I created a DAO query, and based the report of that. I modify the query's SQL and then open the report. It works.
    Me.Geek = True