Question Unanswered: Rollforward on top of offline backup??

Hi All,
    I know we can rollforward the transaction logs on top of online backup image at the time of DB restoration.Will the roll forward possible after restoring the DB from an offlline backup image.

By the way archival logging is enabled for this database and we have only an offline backup image along with the archive logs for restoring the database for point in time.

Please advise.

DB2 LUW version is v9.5.

Thanks
    Nagaraj

Provided Answers: 5
    I believe the answer to you question is yes. If you restore the offline backup without using the "WITHOUT ROLLING FORWARD" clause, the database will be left in roll forward pending state.

Andy

Provided Answers: 11
    if the db is enabled for log archive, after the restore, the db is always in rollforward mode (I believe ) after restore. rollforward complete can be executed, to quit the status without rolling forward
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Provided Answers: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by przytula_guy
    if the db is enabled for log archive, after the restore, the db is always in rollforward mode (I believe ) after restore. rollforward complete can be executed, to quit the status without rolling forward
    If the clause "WITHOUT ROLLING FORWARD" is used to restore an offline backup, then the restored database is ready for use as soon as the restore is finished. there is no rollforward step needed.

Andy

Thanks for the replies.

Does DB2 allow to omit "WITHOUT ROLLING FORWARD" clause with offline backup.Please confirm.

--Nagaraj

yes, please download manuals. As you are on 9.5 here you go

IBM - DB2 Version 9.5 for Linux, UNIX and Windows English manuals
    --
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0