Database design for GPS application

Hi,

I am designing a database for a GPS application which will store GPS co-ordinates from many different sources/recievers.

My question is, should I compile all the various GPS inputs into a single (potentially) very large table

Or should I create a smaller tables for each individual transmitter and then a master table to hold the details of each smaller table.

My initial thought is to use the many smaller tables as it will lead to less contention within the table and also less problems when it comes to locking as not all database connection menthods are equal when it comes to lock strategies.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any designs that are in the public domain, for use

TIA

Chris

One question, one thread please BoobBoo.

Without more information, single table every time.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Sorry about the cross post, posted once and then found the second forum.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will think some more about the single table approach. Just not sure it will scale as well as multiple tables

Chris

What sort of transaction rate? Received in batches or singletons? Do they need to be available in real time or can there be delays?

There are other methods to improve this sort of thing other than using multiple tables.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.