Unanswered: PostGres SQL with virtual machine

Dear Forum Members,

I would like to make the following configuration at my machine, but I do not know how to start it...
    So I have a host machine with windows XP and a perfectly working PGSQL 8.2. I have a guest windows OS using vmware (bridged eth. adapter). I have an application on guest OS to which I want to connect host machine's PGSQL server and databases.

So what should I do in the guest machine and in the host machine? Is this host PG server usage allowed? Can be configured? If so can cause any problems if the host and guest OS's wants to access the same database for writing/reading?

Thanks in advanced,
    EBandi

Provided Answers: 12
    You cannot have two running instances of PostgreSQL access the same physical data directory.

If PG is already running on the host machine, you can simply connect to it from the VMWare guest.

Check out the manual for details on how to enable remote access on the host machine:
    PostgreSQL: Documentation: Manuals: PostgreSQL 8.2: Connections and Authentication

Is there any specific reason to run 8.2?
    8.4 is a much better choice in terms of performance and features

Thx for your reply!
    "You cannot have two running instances of PostgreSQL access the same physical data directory. " - is it true only for the parallel usage or is it possible that in the morning I am using DB1 from host machine and in the afternoon I am using DB1 from guest machine?

My specific reason is lasyness :-) I am using poker applications (PT3) and can I upgrade to 8.4 on the fly without any loss of data?

Quote Originally Posted by ebandi
    Thx for your reply!
    "You cannot have two running instances of PostgreSQL access the same physical data directory. " - is it true only for the parallel usage or is it possible that in the morning I am using DB1 from host machine and in the afternoon I am using DB1 from guest machine?
    That might work, but only if both PG versions are absolutely identical!
    But still I would not try it and you have to make a backup before that.
    And don't blame me for any data loss!

Connecting the VMWare to a running server seems a lot easier than risking data loss due to concurrent usage (if you forget to shut down one server before starting the other you will be in trouble).

My specific reason is lasyness :-) I am using poker applications (PT3) and can I upgrade to 8.4 on the fly without any loss of data?
    Of course you can upgrade a Postgres database without data loss.
    What sense would it make to have a RDBMS that cannot be upgraded without data loss?.

But as this is the backend for a commercial (?) application you should stick to the version the application vendor shipped and supports.

Quote Originally Posted by shammat
    What sense would it make to have a RDBMS that cannot be upgraded without data loss?
    I dunno, but I've seen a few that couldn't be operated without data loss.

Quote Originally Posted by sco08y
    I dunno, but I've seen a few that couldn't be operated without data loss.
    Definitely not Postgres