Unanswered: what is benefit of using Veritas Storage Foundation for Oracle RAC

Hi,

Anyone has hand-on experience with Veritas Storage Foundation for Oracle RAC ?

When I read the product datasheet, I feel kinda comfused. It seems to do the same thing as RAC does, i.e. HA, Scalability, Disaster Recovery. The datasheet also mentions the backup/restore functionality, but surely Orcale will provide that functionality too.

So what is the benefit of using it ? What kind of things it can do but Oracle RAC can't ? What kinds of things Oacle RAC can do but it does better ?

Thanks!!

Thumbs down None

There is no benefit from Veritas Storage Foundation.
    You will just ADD another layer of complexity and process' between the data and the Oracle database.

Use Oracle's Automated Storage Management (ASM) and Cluster Ready Services (CRS).

PS: And VSF is more expensive...
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

a joint paper by Oracle and Symantec

Well, I did find a joint paper by Oracle and Symantec called "INTEGRATING ORACLE AUTOMATIC STORAGE MANAGEMENT WITH VERITAS STORAGE FOUNDATION FOR ORACLE RAC" , whick makes me feel even confused considering your words.