Unanswered: interfaces file is empty

Hi,

I have installed Sybase 12.5 on Solaris 5.10 SPARC 64 bit machine. After installation, as part of post installation checks, I checked interfaces file in Sybase home directry which is empty.

Could you please help on this.

The interfaces file will allways be emtpty after a fresh install.
    If you create a new ASE server or backup server, the server build will add the new entries into the interfaces file.

If you manually want to add entries, use "dscp" or "dsedit", or edit the file manually :

MYASESRV
    master tcp ether myasehost 4100
    query tcp ether myasehost 4100

Rule no. 1 : - Always leave at least one blank line after the last line in the file if you manually edited it. Older versions of the client software failed & hung if the interfaces file did not end in a blank line.

Hi Lerac,

Thanks for response. I have created a new ASE server instances using "srvbuild" (i.e ASE, ASE_BS, ASE_XP, ASE_MS). However, none of the entries details are written in interfaces file.

Is this any issue with installation?

Also, in Unix applications, i believe ip-address & port no. in interfaces files are in hexa-decimal characters. Just to confirm, will manually editing file by entering IP address & port no in decimal characters would work?

Quote Originally Posted by Neevarp
    I have created a new ASE server instances using "srvbuild" (i.e ASE, ASE_BS, ASE_XP, ASE_MS). However, none of the entries details are written in interfaces file.
    I'm not convinced that srvbuild / srvbuildres completed the server builds sucessfully if there are no interfaces entries. The servers, especially ASE must be successfully started to complete the install, otherwise the sybsystemprocs db will not be created & populated. You can perhaps verify from the install log that was created.

Is this any issue with installation?
    Mmm, not sure about this one as I've never had issues myself. I normally do the install without creating the servers, then apply required EBFs, then build servers using srvbuildres.
    You might want to verify that the SYBASE environment variable was pointing to the "expected" directory by doing a find for the "interfaces" file and ensuring that no other copies exists :
    find / -name interfaces -print 2>/dev/null

It could have been created elsewhere.

Also, in Unix applications, i believe ip-address & port no. in interfaces files are in hexa-decimal characters. Just to confirm, will manually editing file by entering IP address & port no in decimal characters would work?
    If memory serves me correctly, there are only two platforms that supports these entries known as TLI TCP entries. This is Sun Solaris and SCO Unix.
    All of the Unix / Linux platforms supports the normal style interfaces entries. I think the TLI entries was still default on server creation on Sun platform pre-12.5.x.

You should still be able to create the entries in the interfaces file manually or via dscp/dsedit and start the servers or connect to them if already running without a problem, assuming that ASE was built fine. Remember rule 1 if manually editing the file - always leave a blank line at the end..

The TLI entries looks like this in the interfaces file :

SERVERNAME
    master tli tcp /dev/tcp \x000213880a0b0c0d0000000000000000
    query tli tcp /dev/tcp \x000213880a0b0c0d0000000000000000

Notice the "tli tcp" instead of usual "tcp" as well as "/dev/tcp" instead of normal "ether".
    \x0002 - indicates TLI family interface number
    1388 - Indicates port No. 5000 in this case
    0a 0b 0c 0d - IP Address fo the server in format 0a.0b.0c.0e, 10.11.12.13 in this case.
    0000000000000000 - 8 byte filler

It's still far easier to use the non-TLI format :
    SERVERNAME
    query tcp ether HOSTNAME PORT
    master tcp ether HOSTNAME PORT

Thanks for this valuable information Lerac. Reinstalling the sybase binaries had resolved this issue. Now i am able to see server details in interfaces files (in tli tcp format).