Unanswered: User level security before after splitting dbase etc

Hi have an Access 2002 database that I intend to split , 1 back end and approx 30 front ends ( as MDEs if I can ? )which will be distributed over a LAN and probably a WAN as well.
    My plan is to build database, encrypt it, MDE if possible before I then split it. At what point should I implement the user level security and any tips about problems using over a WAN would be helpful.

So main issue is, build, encrypt, MDE, split, user level security, which order should I do things in after building.
    Have googled and searched this forum but as ever eithe rcan't find answer or haven't understood what I've read !

Thanks
    Keith

Provided Answers: 59
    If you are using user level security (ie using workgroups) then its part of the fundamental design of the system, so given where you are its before you deploy as MDE's

what ever else you do do, take backups before any changes especially with workgroup security

bear in mind you cannot make changes to a MDE, you can only make changes in a MDB and then generate a new MDE

did I mention take backups.

follow the Security FAQ from microsoft microsoft access security FAQ - Google Search

if using a JET backend you may well have performance problems over a WAN, and properly designed Access/JET database should have no problems upto 25 mebbe more concurrent users, it will struggle beyond that when in an ideal world you should be using a server backend which would also be more suitable for deployment over a WAN
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Lightbulb I feel the hurt

Quote Originally Posted by kedunc
    Hi have an Access 2002 database that I intend to split , 1 back end and approx 30 front ends ( as MDEs if I can ? )which will be distributed over a LAN and probably a WAN as well.
    My plan is to build database, encrypt it, MDE if possible before I then split it. At what point should I implement the user level security and any tips about problems using over a WAN would be helpful.

So main issue is, build, encrypt, MDE, split, user level security, which order should I do things in after building.
    Have googled and searched this forum but as ever eithe rcan't find answer or haven't understood what I've read !

Thanks
    Keith

What I did when I was ready to distribute my Access database application last year, was I just backed it up then set up the workgroup file and user-level security (I also programmed my own security into the database front end application its self), split that thing, stuffed the back end on the network and distributed the MDEs...

Problem with MS Access is that well... I warned my bosses (who have little or no technical knowledge) that distributing the database across the entire state to almost 100 users was the epitome of a bad idea and it would be a nightmare to maintain. After begging for them to let me upgrade the db to SQL Server to no avail, I now find myself bombarded on a routine basis by people calling me just to tell me the app is really slow, asking me what's the matter with it, thinking I'm incompetant.

I feel sorry for developers who work for companies who won't spring for the right technology and always want to go with the cheapo second rate solution... also known as MS Access. I wish you the very best of luck with your project.
    "Unix is user friendly... It's just very picky about its friends."

The best things in life...are well-documented.

Thanks to both replies so far
    atsukoarai86 so just to be clear, you set up user-level security, the you split the db , then you converterd the front end)s) to mde format ?
    Thanks
    Keith

Provided Answers: 59
    I feel sorry for developers who work for companies who won't spring for the right technology and always want to go with the cheapo second rate solution... also known as MS Access. I wish you the very best of luck with your project.
    theres nowt wrong with Access in that context

there is soemthing wrong in trying to connect 100+ concurrent users using JET as a data store. thats the problem. not Access itself, but your useage of JET. and it doesn't need to be a budgetary issue as you can happily connect to MySQL as a backend within Access. however you would almost certainly have to do a redesign and make certain you use pass through queries, unbound controls and so on.

good design within Access using JET can work with that number but its not guaranteed
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton