Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8

    Question Unanswered: Report displaying wrong field

    Hey everyone another Monday and another minor headache for me. I'm getting Access to spit out a report for me right now and I'm having a problem with one of the values. It's a field that's supposed to show the location from the Sales table. The values in the Sales table are tied to a Locations table.

    Alright that's all fine and dandy but now the report is displaying the LocationID instead of the LocationName. So instead of seeing "Ferry Docks" I'm seeing "7"

    I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here and any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to ask for more info if you need it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    out on a limb
    Posts
    13,692
    Provided Answers: 59
    so its pulling the value from the table for locationID

    you need to find a mechanism to translate that into the location name

    you can either
    change the underlying record source so that it drags the locationanem form (presumably the location table).. I do hope you are not using the lookup wizard as part of the table creation......
    or
    you could put some code in the reports on format event which does, say a dlookup to retrieve the location name

    if you are using the lookup wizard in the table designer then, short of a table redesign, I haven't got a scooby, as its something I've used since way back when.. 93, or was it 94 on Access V2
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8
    I believe I did use the lookup wizard unfortunately. Does anyone have a solution with this being the case? A redesign at this point would be a massive pain so if there is a way to do this programmatically I would be eternally greatful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    out on a limb
    Posts
    13,692
    Provided Answers: 59
    bin it
    create a table for location
    do a join on the query for the report.

    its the 'right' way to do it.
    fudges are best avoided unless there is no sensible work around.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NM, USA
    Posts
    97

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Propapanda
    Hey everyone another Monday and another minor headache for me. I'm getting Access to spit out a report for me right now and I'm having a problem with one of the values. It's a field that's supposed to show the location from the Sales table. The values in the Sales table are tied to a Locations table.

    Alright that's all fine and dandy but now the report is displaying the LocationID instead of the LocationName. So instead of seeing "Ferry Docks" I'm seeing "7"

    I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here and any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to ask for more info if you need it.

    HI there. I've had to programmatically fix all sort of headaches in my Access applications, so maybe I can help...

    It would really help if I could see the problem you're having. If you could take a screenshot of the relationships between the tables your querying, and show me the SQL for your query, and a screenshot of your results, maybe I can hack it out. I know that prolly sounds like a pain, but I can't fix anything I can't look at! heh...
    "Unix is user friendly... It's just very picky about its friends."

    The best things in life...are well-documented.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •