Which DB is the best for my solution?

Hi,

We currently use MySQL free edition and I've been tasked to find out which other DB's we should consider such as MS SQL and Oracle.

In addition I need to know the positives and negatives of each one.

This database needs to have easy reporting, be fast, reliable and offer the ability for our Java and Matlab users to access it.

What do you think?

Thanks

Josh

SQL Server is much simpler to use and administer. It would be my recommendation. Also, Microsoft has made available a migration tool to assist in moving databases from MySQL to SQL Server.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by joshfolgado
    Hi,

We currently use MySQL free edition and I've been tasked to find out which other DB's we should consider such as MS SQL and Oracle.

In addition I need to know the positives and negatives of each one.

This database needs to have easy reporting, be fast, reliable and offer the ability for our Java and Matlab users to access it.

What do you think?

Thanks

Josh
    It's difficult to answer your question without knowing what skills you have - for instance it would be pointless recommending Oracle if you don't have any experience with Oracle. Do you have much experience with the RDBMS you're currently using (MySQL)?

I've worked my way through all your questions this morning and feel that at the end of the day your employers have given you a set of questions and that they are expecting you to be capable of answering them. If you just pass all their questions to us and then you pass our answers back to your employers then they'll soon figure they hired the wrong guy.

Quote Originally Posted by joshfolgado
    Are your users exclusively Windows-based? SQL Server is Windows only whereas Oracle and others support a range of different OSs.