How to handle database replication

Hi,

I need to find a solution to offer database replication between 2 or more databases and the benefits and challenges from any solution.

In addition, this database changes its structure from time to time (which could be daily as the users make additional changes.

Can you help?

Thanks

Josh

If you're making daily changes to the structure of your database then the structure of your database is wrong.

Not that easy...

Hi,

The structure of the DB changes often because I work within a trading environment and the analysts need to expand their data choices whenever there is a need.

So the data structure does change often and there is no way to control it. The data stored on these ever changing DB's updates master DB's and the master DB's need to be flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by joshfolgado
    I need to find a solution to offer database replication between 2 or more databases and the benefits and challenges from any solution.
    If you don't know the benefits then how do you know you need replication? Perhaps you could state what your business requirement is - what problems are you facing and what (in English, not technically) do you need to achieve to alleviate the problems.

Also this is very RDBMS dependent, unless you intend to roll your own solution, so probably best to get the finer details in a specific RDBMS forum.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by joshfolgado
    Hi,

The structure of the DB changes often because I work within a trading environment and the analysts need to expand their data choices whenever there is a need.

So the data structure does change often and there is no way to control it. The data stored on these ever changing DB's updates master DB's and the master DB's need to be flexible.
    I normally work in the same environment but I try to avoid the need for change by making the database designs as flexible as possible but obviously there are limits, and changes will occasionally have to be made. If your analysts are making changes to the structure on a daily basis then you have no real control of your database and sadly you will be the one held responsible when the inevitable happens when this flexibility turns into a liability.
    Last edited by mike_bike_kite; 07-28-09 at 10:19.