Question Unanswered: Replication Strategy

I am not a DBA, but rather a developer, so I need a little guidance - we have no DBA

Here is my scenario,

We have an office in London and in Boston. The network connection between the 2 offices suk.

I created a winforms application with a sql server backend. Currently, the database is in Boston, but London is experiencing vast slowness. Thus, we need a solution, and I was thinking we could put a database in London, and set some form of replication. Btw, this is not read-only data, users are creating/editing sales forecasts and users from London and Boston can work on the same forecast (just not at the same time - application restriction - I lock a forecast when someone has it open)

Now, I am not sure which replication scenario to choose (merge?) or how many servers / databases I need to set this up.

Also, none of my tables use Guids, they use ints, is this going to be a problem?

We have no budget for a DBA, so it looks like the burden falls on me.

Quote Originally Posted by peryan77
    I am not a DBA, but rather a developer, so I need a little guidance - we have no DBA

Here is my scenario,

We have an office in London and in Boston. The network connection between the 2 offices suk.

I created a winforms application with a sql server backend. Currently, the database is in Boston, but London is experiencing vast slowness. Thus, we need a solution, and I was thinking we could put a database in London, and set some form of replication. Btw, this is not read-only data, users are creating/editing sales forecasts and users from London and Boston can work on the same forecast (just not at the same time - application restriction - I lock a forecast when someone has it open)

Now, I am not sure which replication scenario to choose (merge?) or how many servers / databases I need to set this up.

Also, none of my tables use Guids, they use ints, is this going to be a problem?

We have no budget for a DBA, so it looks like the burden falls on me.
    I would generally say that merge would be your best bet, however, merge is a tricky process to manage and tricky to set up. Yes, rowids (ints) are pain to manage in merge replication. Also, how large is your database? Whatever method you choose will require pushing the database out over the network (unless you back it up to CD and mail it).

Updateable transactional replication is not nice in this scenario, since the network connection is slow.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

I'd say just have a go Peryan - it's really not that difficult nowadays

You'll need a couple of test servers and a bit of trial & error using just one Publication/Article/Table

Merge is definately the way to go, don't forget to allocate your AutID Assignment into Blocks when setting up.

Just get comfortable with the terminology (Publisher/Subscriber/Distributor/Agent/Snapshots etc...) & you'll be up & running in no time

GW
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer