Unanswered: DB2 Migration from v8 to v9x

Hello Guru,

We installed DB2 v8 on AIX platform 3 years ago. We are planning to migrate DB2 from v8 to v9.1 in the sandbox server.

After migration, will I be able to perform redirect restore of database ( offline backup from v8) into the version 9 instance?

If the answer is yes, I would need to issue 'db2 migrate database Test' and the database will be migrated? Did I miss other steps?

If the answer is no, do I deinstall db2 v9, and then install db2 v8 again, redirect restore the database ( offline backup from v8) into the version 8 instance, and repeat all the migration steps?

Thanks in Advance!

Pollyanna

Two options to migrate:

Option #1:
    db2imigr (migrate instance) and migrate db (migrate database)

Option #2:
    create v9 instance and restore v8 offline db backup into v9 instance. db will be migrated during restore.

Always take a backup of your v8 db prior to migration so that you can go back should something happen.

Thanks for your comment.

If I choose Option #1, after migrating the instance and data base from v8 to v9.1, will I be able to perform redirect restore ( using the offline backup of another v8 database) into this migrated instance? Will the v8 database be migrated to v9 during redirect restore?

Thanks in Advance!

Pollyanna

Yes, v8 -> v9 restore should work if using an offline image. The db will be migrated during redirected restore.