Question Unanswered: BDE, PdoxDos and Windows Server 2003

Delphi 6, Delphi 2006 and Paradox tables

My boss wants to get rid of all of our Novell servers and put everything on Windows.

I put some test data on a machine running Windows Server 2003. My .NET file is located on a Novell server. I can only access the tables from one machine at a time; Paradox for Windows often claims that the tables are read only and Paradox for DOS crashes immediately with a byte lock failure #1. (And no, I can't get rid of Paradox for DOS and the Paradox tables anytime soon.)

Is there some setting I can change on this Windows server that will allow my Delphi applications and Paradox for DOS to work on it?

Thanks in advance.

first, the "one machine at a time" issue will always be a mapping/path conflict.. every machine must access ALL needed files and folders using the EXACT same mapping/path.. not just resolution to the same place.. the EXACT same path, including upper/lower case.. also, bear in mind that PdoxDOS handles long filenames differently than the BDE, so everything in common should stay within the 8.3 convention..

as for the other errors, my only guess from your description is that you do NOT have full rights to the necessary folders.. otherwise, there is no normal reason for that type of failure.. download 4xGuide from my web site, for normal PdoxDOS installation and deployment guidelines..

you mention using PdoxDOS, PdoxWIN, and Delphi.. that's not uncommon, but it's a lot of pieces to get in synch, when you change the underlying system.. have you tested one piece at a timne, to see if you can isolate and/or eliminate the problems?
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green
    first, the "one machine at a time" issue will always be a mapping/path conflict.. every machine must access ALL needed files and folders using the EXACT same mapping/path.. not just resolution to the same place.. the EXACT same path, including upper/lower case.. also, bear in mind that PdoxDOS handles long filenames differently than the BDE, so everything in common should stay within the 8.3 convention..
    I know all of this. The path, \\webcluster01\source\catsdata is mapped as q:\ on all the machines. The subdirectories of q:\ are all seven characters long or less. Today, while I am physically present at the office, remoted into the same two machines I've been using for the past couple of weeks from home, the app seems to have no problem running on both at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green
    you mention using PdoxDOS, PdoxWIN, and Delphi.. that's not uncommon, but it's a lot of pieces to get in synch, when you change the underlying system.. have you tested one piece at a timne,
    PdoxDOS refuses to work at all, even if Pdoxwin and Delphi are not looking at the directory. I always get the byte lock failure. But I can run the Delphi app on the machine that won't run PdoxDOS; I can add and edit records so it seems that I must have proper rights.

On the novell server, PdoxDOS has been functioning normally for over a decade.

I always get the byte lock failure.

sorry, but I don't have all my old "cheat sheet" stuff loaded on this machine yet.. if memory serves me correctly, the "byte lock" error *is* a file access error, but I'm only guessing.. have you looked at my 4xGuide to compare your installation to the "normal guidelines" installation, in case that gives a clue?
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too