Unanswered: increasing maxsize of a datafile online?

Hi Guys

We are running ORACLE 10g on linux and I recently added a datafile to a specific tablespace of a production SAP ORACLE database - whilst it was online - and it went well.

Now I want to increase the maxsize of one or more of the other datafiles in this same tablespace. I just wanted to check with you that this is also an operation that may be carried out whilst the DB is online?

Also does the PL/SQL look good to you?

---------------------
    alter database backup controlfile to trace;

alter database datafile '/oracle/ERP/sapdata/sr4_1/sr4.data1' autoextend on maxsize 20000M
    ---------------------

The datafile is currently set to 10000 Mb maxsize and autoextend is already on, but I want the file to be able to grow to 20000 Mb.

Many thanks in advance.

PS: I'll probably end up asking you guys every time i do something for the first time, as there really isn't much help at work. I figure it's better to be sure before running something than bringing the DB down ;p

looks good, however are you setting it up to 2gig (2000M) or 20 gig (20000M)
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

hi beilstwh

I am wanting to extend the maxsize of the file from its current value of 10gig (10000M) to 20gig (20000M).

Some of our datafiles are already 20gig in size, while most are only 10gig.

Do you think that 20gig is too large (for ORACLE 10g)? At least one experienced ORACLE DBA has advised that 20gig files are too large to be dependable (depending on the version of ORACLE) and that it would be better to add another 10gig file instead ...

What do you think?

On a 64 bit OS, it really doesn't matter. We set all our data-files at 15gig and add new data-files and it works fine. I see nothing wrong with 20gig data-files, especially since you are already running 20gig table spaces with no problems.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

thanks for the info beilstwh

I extended two of the datafiles to 20 gig and everything went 100%.