Thread: Folder Window

Unanswered: Folder Window

Hi All,

I have built an access database to run my company over the past 6 months. It runs really well and is helping our business.

However, I want to add another function and cannot find how to do it:

The main part of the Db displays a customer record on a form. Each one of our customers also has a folder on the server where the plans for the project are kept along with letters, emails and so on. To get to this folder I have a hyper link on the form that opens a new window containing the relevant folder associated with the customers record currently displaying.

I want to add a control onto the form that automatically fills with all the files within the relevant folder, it must be scrollable and I would also like to drag files onto the control so the file is saved in the folder. Clicking on any of the files should open that file.

I am concerned that clicking through different records will slow up the Db as the Db would have to load all the files every time a new record is displayed. Therefore, perhaps the control should have a 'show files' button on it?

I have found many answers to my questions on this forum over the past six months, but I am struggling with this. Has anyone got a small Db that does this so I can see how it works and then write it into my DB? I am using Access 2007.

Thanks, Nige

Provided Answers: 14
    Your post is a bit vague. What do you have so far? Did you already try to use a specific custom control or to build one, and what problems are you facing?

Have a nice day!

Hi Sinndho,

I have dragged on various controls but I have got nothing to display in the control. I am not sure what control to really put my efforts into!

Nige

Showing directory info in database

Because the material in your folders is dynamic, you don't really want it to be in the database. What you could do is have a button which launches a VBA script which lists all of the items in the folder and stores the data in an Excel worksheet in the same directory. The Excel spreadsheet is linked into the database (as though it were a backend) and appears as a table. You can view all of the items in the Excel file in a listbox, which would also allow you to click on any item and select it for some kind of processing, if you need to.

Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

I agree I do not want to have the files stored in the database. However, if I have a hyper link, on clicking the hyper link a new window pops up showing the folder view. I guess what I want is, the folder window to be embedded within the form and automatically shows the folder view relating to the record currently showing.

Have a look at the forms in the attached file and see if there is something that could be a start towards what you're looking to accomplish.

Have a nice day!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sinndho,

Thanks. A few changes to make and I would hope your forms would give me exactly what I want.

Nige

Nige,

If you want to use F_Filelist or F_DirTree as subforms, uncomment the lines in the Form_Load() function of each form.

It's also possible to add drag'n drop functionalities to both objects but I cannot figure out what you would drag and from where.

Have a nice day!

Sinndho

If you want to use F_Filelist or F_DirTree as subforms, uncomment the lines in the Form_Load() function of each form. Thanks, I am having a go at making it work over the weekend.

It's also possible to add drag'n drop functionalities to both objects but I cannot figure out what you would drag and from where. We run dual monitors on our computers. Database and email are always on one monitor and the quotes/design plans on the other monitor. When we recieve an email from one of our clients, which usually has attachments, we simply bring up that client in our db. If we want to save the attachments, it would be great to just drag & drop them onto this control. Additionally, if a customer rings, our db shows there record. If they want to talk about part of the design, it would be good if we could just click on the relevant plan. To be honest, none of it is necessary, but it would just make things a little easier and cool to use.

Nige