Unanswered: OUI stuck during installation of Oracle?

Hi all,

I am attempting to install Oracle 10.2.0 onto a brand new Solaris 10 server. I got as far as running through the OUI interactively and all was going well, right up until I got to the Configuration Assistants screen. It listed 3 assistants, ran through the first (Oracle Net Config Assistant) install no problem and marked it as successful. It then started on the second one (dbca) but this then stayed marked as In Progress for the next 6 hours, at which point I manually stopped it (with the intention of trying to find out the issue and retry). The problem then was that the OUI screen froze completely and I had to stop the process in task manager on my PC.

So now I am left unsure as to how to carry on. Do I need to somehow conmpletely back out of my install and start again, or can I just get back to that screen and try it again.

Here is the last excerpt from the log, and the error file produced. I can't see an obvious error.

Log:

Code:
        Listener started successfully.
    Listener configuration complete.
    Default local naming configuration complete.
    Oracle Net Services configuration successful. The exit code is 0

INFO: Configuration assistant "Oracle Net Configuration Assistant" succeeded
    INFO: Command = /tpp/oracle/10.2.0/bin/dbca  -progress_only  -createDatabase -te
    mplateName General_Purpose.dbc -gdbName RECOVERDB -sid RECOVERD  -sysPassword 05
    901936bfd735086570c061c02e93dbbc  -systemPassword 0552e15cbef6234e592d039355ef95
    6164  -sysmanPassword 05b2863fbe159eaab18c86e6abb7e75cd8  -dbsnmpPassword 058c44
    4bbed606ec27f5a60b19f698fc80  -emConfiguration LOCAL     -datafileJarLocation /t
    pp/oracle/10.2.0/assistants/dbca/templates  -datafileDestination /tpp/oracle/ora
    data/ -responseFile NO_VALUE   -characterset WE8ISO8859P1   -obfuscatedPasswords
     true  -sampleSchema true -oratabLocation /tpp/oracle/10.2.0/install/oratab  -re
    coveryAreaDestination NO_VALUE

SEVERE: The assistant you are trying to stop is a "Recommended" assistant. Not s
    uccessfully running any "Recommended" assistant means your system will not be co
    rrectly configured.
     Do you wish to proceed?
    INFO: User Selected: Yes/OK
    Error File:

Code:
            at oracle.sysman.oio.oioc.OiocOneClickInstaller****nInstaller(OiocOneClic
    kInstaller.java:1957)
            at oracle.sysman.oio.oioc.OiocOneClickInstaller.main(OiocOneClickInstall
    er.java:2185)
    Warning: Cannot convert string "-monotype-arial-regular-r-normal--*-140-*-*-p-*-
    iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

Warning: Cannot convert string "-monotype-arial-regular-r-normal--*-140-*-*-p-*-
    iso8859-1" to type FontStruct
    sh: sysdef: not found
    Any help gratefully accepted.

Thank you,
    Paula

i usually skip the assistant step all together. it's easy enough to configure a tnsnames.ora and startup a listener manually

also, I would not have oracle install a database during the installation of the binaries. If anything, I would ONLY install the binaries, patch the binaries to the latest oracle version, and once everything is complete I would then use dbca to create a database (if using the gui).
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

You can re-start the process of creating the database again using dbca. Optinally, you could save up the scripts and run it manually, that way you can see a more detailed view of all the progress going on instead of the GUI progress bar.

I am having the same issues

please help. I am remotely installing Oracle 10g R2 on Linux RHEL 5.2 using VMWare and I am using the OUI. I am not using gui I am all cmd line. Upon reaching the configuration Assistants the DBCA takes forever I have waited 8hrs and still nothing. The Install has stopped but is not frozen. How do I get this installed? Please help
    Last edited by chmoco21; 12-11-09 at 13:38. Reason: lack of information listed...

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >I am remotely installing Oracle 10g R2 on Linux RHEL 5.2 using VMWare
    Unsupported combination

and I am using the OUI.

>I am not using gui I am all cmd line.
    It is VERY difficult to get correct & complicated by VM in the mix.

>How do I get this installed?
    With many trial & error runs.

>Please help
    post tail end of INSTALL logfile
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

[oracle@ccdblin32dev02 logs]$ vi installActions2009-12-17_09-54-13AM.log

INFO: Using paramFile: /software/Oracle_10R2_32_64/32bit/10201_database_linux32/database/install/oraparam.ini
    INFO:
    INFO:
    INFO: Checking installer requirements...
    INFO:
    INFO: Checking operating system version: must be redhat-3, SuSE-9, redhat-4, UnitedLinux-1.0, asianux-1 or asianux-2
    INFO: Passed
    INFO:
    INFO:
    INFO: All installer requirements met.
    INFO:
    INFO:
    INFO: The commandline for unzip:
    INFO: /software/Oracle_10R2_32_64/32bit/10201_database_linux32/database/install/unzip -qqq ../stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.4.2.8.0/1/DataFiles/\*.jar -d /tmp/OraInstall2009-12-17_09-54-13AM
    INFO: /software/Oracle_10R2_32_64/32bit/10201_database_linux32/database/install/unzip -qqq ../stage/Components/oracle.swd.oui/10.2.0.1.0/1/DataFiles/\*.jar -d /tmp/OraInstall2009-12-17_09-54-13AM
    INFO: /software/Oracle_10R2_32_64/32bit/10201_database_linux32/database/install/unzip -qqq ../stage/Components/oracle.swd.oui.core/10.2.0.1.0/1/DataFiles/\*.jar -d /tmp/OraInstall2009-12-17_09-54-13AM
    INFO:
    INFO: The number of files bootstrapped for the jre is 590.
    INFO:
    INFO: The number of files bootstrapped for the oui is 94.
    INFO: Execvp of the child jre : the cmdline is /tmp/OraInstall2009-12-17_09-54-13AM/jre/1.4.2/bin/java, and the argv is
    INFO: /tmp/OraInstall2009-12-17_09-54-13AM/jre/1.4.2/bin/java
    INFO: -Doracle.installer.library_loc=/tmp/OraInstall2009-12-17_09-54-13AM/oui/lib/linux
    INFO: -Doracle.installer.oui_loc=/tmp/OraInstall2009-12-17_09-54-13AM/oui
    INFO: -Doracle.installer.bootstrap=TRUE
    INFO: -Doracle.installer.startup_location=/software/Oracle_10R2_32_64/32bit/10201_database_linux32/database/install
    INFO: -Doracle.installer.jre_loc=/tmp/OraInstall2009-12-17_09-54-13AM/jre/1.4.2
    INFO: -Doracle.installer****sEnabled="TRUE"
    INFO: -Doracle.installer.prereqConfigLoc=/tmp/OraInstall2009-12-17_09-54-13AM/prereq
    INFO: -Doracle.installer.unixVersion=2.6.9-89.ELsmp
    INFO: -mx150m
    INFO: -cp
    @
    @
    @
    @
    @
    @
    @
    @
    "installActions2009-12-17_09-54-13AM.log" 11013L, 832580C

oraInstall.err file

oracle@ccdblin32dev02 logs]$ vi oraInstall2009-12-17_09-54-13AM.err

e@ccdblin32dev02 logs]$ vi oraInstall2009-12-17_09-54-13AM.err

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifm.OiifmGraphicPageHandl er.onView(OiifmGraphicPageHandler.java:801)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifw.OiifwWizDialog.onView Private(OiifwWizDialog.java:881)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifw.OiifwWizDialog.access $000(OiifwWizDialog.java:329)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifw.OiifwWizDialog$Prepar eInventoryTree****n(OiifwWizDialog.java:1777)
    at java.lang.Thread****n(Unknown Source)
    Warning: Cannot convert string "-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

Warning: Cannot convert string "-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStructava.lang.NullPointerException
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifm.OiifmGraphicPageHandl er.onView(OiifmGraphicPageHandler.java:801)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifw.OiifwWizDialog.onView Private(OiifwWizDialog.java:881)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifw.OiifwWizDialog.access $000(OiifwWizDialog.java:329)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifw.OiifwWizDialog$Prepar eInventoryTree****n(OiifwWizDialog.java:1777)
    at java.lang.Thread****n(Unknown Source)
    Warning: Cannot convert string "-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

It appears OUI is messing with fonts; which I find strange doing a silent install.

From my perspective, the problem can reside in 1 or 2 broad areas.
    1) The system is not properly configure to install/run Oracle.
    2) the Silent install configuration has fatal flaw.

First you need to manually invoke OUI interactively & prove that a working DB gets created.
    Let us know after this has been done.

I have started the gui install and the EXACT same thing occurs. The install goes fine right up until I got to the Configuration Assistants screen. It listed 3 assistants, ran through the first (Oracle Net Config Assistant) install no problem and marked it as successful. It then started on the second one (dbca) but this then stayed marked as In Progress I know that the installation halts however the screens are still active and not frozen

upon clicking stop it tells me
    "SEVERE: The assistant you are trying to stop is a "Recommended" assistant. Not s
    uccessfully running any "Recommended" assistant means your system will not be co
    rrectly configured.
    Do you wish to proceed?
    INFO: User Selected: Yes/OK"

How do i fix this font error

>I have started the gui install and the EXACT same thing occurs.
    This means the VM is misconfigured.
    Since I have never seen any such error, I have no idea what causes the problem or what need to change to prevent it from occuring.

You're On Your Own (YOYO)!

Two things to consider:

If you're using GUI & things seem to stop for a long time check that there isn't a message box that needs to be 'accepted' hidden under another window.

As others have said, the Net Config Assistant is optional/recommended, but not compulsory - the config can be done later using Net Assistant.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

I did check there are no other windows open behind asking for anything. still stuck i tried using the response file and am having difficulties. I truly believe it has to do with that java error

GIYF:

"Results 1 - 10 of about 11,100 for warning cannot convert string lucida-medium-r- iso8859-1 to type fontstruct"
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

Ritesh Kumar Singh
    IBM Certified DB2 DBA for LUW
    **Knowledge Is Theft If Not Shared !!**