Thread: IIF Statement?

Question Unanswered: IIF Statement?

Greetings.

I have a DB2 connection to a table that 1)has more than 255 fields , an MS access restriction, and 2) a specific value can exist in any of 55 fields.

I solved # 1 by using a passthrough query

Is there a way to query all fields for this specific value, while avoiding a very lengthy iif statement, and return that value in an expression column?

I hope I explained that clearly, I am not a developer nor a SQL expert and can use any advice available.

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 10
    I wonder if this construct will work - will have to find some time to test tomorrow...
    Code:
    SELECT CASE 'search value'
             WHEN col1 THEN col1
             WHEN col2 THEN col2
             WHEN col3 THEN col3
             WHEN col4 THEN col4

WHEN colN THEN colN
           ELSE
             'Not found'
           END
    FROM   da_table
    George
    Home | Blog

mmmmm How About

DECLARE @i INT
    WHILE @i < 55
    BEGIN
    SET @i=@i+1
    EXEC [dalinkedserver].master.dbo.sp_executesql N'SELECT FROM [da_table] WHERE [da_column]'+ i + '= [da_value]'
    IF @@ROWCOUNT > 0 BREAK
    END
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

Question Responses to the Newbie

gvee - I tried the case statement for 2 hours last night, only to relaize that CASE is not support in an MS Access query. Any SQL code I try would need to be supported in MS access.

This looks like the way to go, I just need to consider possible options, as I only have MS access at my disposal. Any thoughts on how to write the case statement outside iof access, what could I use?

GWilliy - Thank you for the response. Unfortunatley , I have no clue what all that means. Would that be in an MSaccess SQl query, a form, function, etc?

Thanks for the ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by dz1rfj
    gvee - I tried the case statement for 2 hours last night, only to relaize that CASE is not support in an MS Access query.
    Dude - that was a wasted 2 hours. You've posted in the SQL Server forum, so you've been given SQL Server answers.

I'll move this to Access.
    I recommend you look up the Switch function and translate George's CASE expression to that.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

pootle flump - Man......thanks for the advice.

While in MS access, I can switch to SQL view, so thought that meant any SQL code could be used....Thanks for the help!

Provided Answers: 59
    IIF isn't valid syntax in DB2.....
    if you tried you'd be using JET queries, and therefore hit the 255 column limit in JET
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

SQL is a language - Structured Query Language, the (pretty close to only) language for interacting with relational database systems. SQL Server is an MS relational database product.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

healdem -Thanks for the information. OPerhaps I should post elsewhere, but let me ask you - does one need to be serving a databse to use SQL server, or can it be used as a client to other odbc sources?

Is there another way / software package that will allow native connectivity to more that 255 fields, AND use the case statement?
    Thanks!!!

BTW - if you are "only" needing to look at 55 columns then you can submit those names into your passthrough query, which then means the 255 limit does not apply.

Do I need to mention that it sounds like that DB2 table is a s****y design?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

You can link SQL Server to DB2. You can also use the SQL Server equivalent of passthrough queries (called OPENROWSET) also to connect to DB2.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Provided Answers: 59
    if you are connecting to a DB2 dataabse then use pass through queries or ODBC queries to 'talk' to DB2 using a SQL that DB2 understands. that measn use either ANSI SQL or ANSI SQL with DB2/IBM's propriatory addons, not JET or SQL Server of whoever's add ons.

If you are using DB2 as your back end, and your problem seems to be DB2 SQL then you may well be better off getting this questions moved to the DB2 forum on this site, to get an answer suitable for DB2... is that what you would like to happen?
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton