Unanswered: readline and history doesnt work

My readline and history databases dont work in psql currently. I researched it and found the following article:

If psql does not support tab-completion, history, or reverse-i-search, it may be because you either have the library files and/or header files installed into a non-standard directory. If this is the case, locate them (the file names are: libreadline.a , readline.h , and history.h ).

If you wish to reconfigure psql to use these features, the first thing to do is find the listed files. Once you know where they are stored on your filesystem, tell the PostgreSQL configure script where they are by using the following flags: --with-includes=[.h file locations] , and --with-libs=[lib file location] . After reconfiguration, remake the psql binary and the features should become available.

I'm on step two, in bold. Ive found the files but have no clue how to tell the configure script where the files are.

• when it says configure script, does it mean the postgresql.conf file found in the data file? because if it is I opened it up and have no clue where to edit. there is no "--with-libs=" nor anything close to it.

• or is it talking about the ./configure you type at the command prompt? if so, I dont know in which directory to be in when I type out

./configure --with-includes=/usr/local/include/readline --with-libs=/usr/local/lib

it always says "bash: ./configure: No such file or directory"

so I'm lost
    All the best

Olympia, WA
    We just had a similar discussion on the pg mail list
    [GENERAL] Configure fails to find readline librari: msg#00701 pgsql-general