Unanswered: Inter Database Relations

Hi there,

I have a problem, well, I'm developing a web application, in fact a group of web applications and I was thinking about the database structure of those applications,
    I was puzzled with a thing that never occurred to me, is it possible to create inter
    database relations, like individual databases for each application and a database to store common data to all? and if it is, do you think it is a good practice to do so? and how can that be achieved? well I can enforce logical relations through the various applications without using foreign key constraints but that could lead to orphan data problems.

Sure I could create a database common to all applications and work with that, but, I was just thinking in a scenario that never occurred to me, and couldn't find information about that anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by davexpt
    is it possible to create inter database relations, like individual databases for each application and a database to store common data to all?
    of course it's possible, but i don't like the idea

it shouldn't take too long to test it, to see whether you can actually declare a foreign key across databases (my guess is no, but i could be wrong)

anyhow, why did you want to do this?

perhaps you might like to do a search for "premature optimization" and see what other people have said about this...

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Just exploring possibilities
    well I thought so, it would be hell to maintain such a structure,
    but it was a question that poped out of my mind and I I'm the kind of person who cannot rest with doubt ahah, but you're right, it would probably be a waste of time without significant benefits

anyway thanks for the answer

It is possiable under MySQL

I know that this thread is most likely dead but i was also searching for something similar to davexpt

Multiple applications sharing common data and wanting to maintain referential integrity.

So i did a test in MySQL:

Code:
    drop database db2;
    drop database db1;
    create database db1;
    create database db2;

use db1;
    create table test (id int primary key);
    use db2;
    create table test(id int key, fkey int);
    alter table test add foreign key(fkey) references db1.test(id);

insert into db1.test(id) values (1);