Unanswered: DB2 9.5 tablespace performance

Hello Admins,

I am new to DB2 and looking for best practices for creating a tablespace that can handle high I/Os for both reads and writes. Would someone give me some tips on how to create a tablespace for this purpose (i.e. page size, number of pages, etc..)? Any help is much appreciated. Also if I want to create a dummy table and insert some dummy data for testing, how can I do this since I am not a DB2 Admin. I can do this with Oracle but not in DB2.

Regards,

Tom

You should use a DMS tablespace with lots of containers, preferably each container on a separate mount point with different spindles. Raid 5 should should not be used for DB2 transaction log files (Raid 10 is usually preferred).

There are a lot of tuning issues (related to the tablespaces and the database itself) associated with our question, and it depends to a large degree on whether your application is a data warehouse (with lots of table scans) or OLTP with almost 100% index access and relatively few rows for each individual SELECT, UPDATE, or DELETE statement.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

I believe this link will help you
    Best regrads,
    Danny Utro.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Utro
    I believe this link will help you
    I would not touch the overhead and transferrate parms because they are automatically set based on your server, and set prefetch size to automatic (which is the default). So this link is not much use.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390