Unanswered: I would like to eventually market my database.

Is there any way to package the database as an installable standalone item? I assume the end user always needs to have Access to use the database, however is there a way to make it more protected and less likely to be pirated or am I in the wrong for thinking this way? It seems selfish of me, but if I could market it to a certain group and make a few bucks I would like to.

I would like to hear from other people that might have been in this situation, or just anyone in particular with an opinion,
    Joseph

Provided Answers: 19
    Is there any way to package the database as an installable standalone item?

No, there is no way to make an Access database "standalone."

I assume the end user always needs to have Access to use the database

Yes, the end user has to have some version of Access on board. If they don't have a full copy of Access, there is a Run-Time version that can be used by you so that they can run the database. If you're running v2007, you can download the Run-Time version from Microsoft, free of charge, as explained in the link sco08y gave you. Other versions of Access (and the Run-Times are version dependent) require a fee, which is fairly expensive and sometimes, depending on the version, hard to come by.

is there a way to make it more protected and less likely to be pirated

You can convert your MDB file or its v2007 equivelent into an MDE file, using the utility (Tools-Database Utilities-Make MDE file) provided by Access. This essentially "locks down" the database so that no design changes can be made nor VBA code examined or copied.

Run-Time versions can be problematical, going by reports that are seen here and on other Access forums, and I've never used them. I always advertised my products as "Access databases" with a note stating "MS Access required." Most businesses have some version of Access, and my personal opinion has always been that companies that don't aren't really serious about IT and will probably be more trouble dealing with than it's worth. But, as I said, that is simply my personal opinion. Your mileage may vary!

am I in the wrong for thinking this way? It seems selfish of me, but if I could market it to a certain group and make a few bucks I would like to.

Of course you aren't wrong in thinking this! There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to profit from your hard work!

Good luck!

Linq
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thank you for your help.

Joseph

Provided Answers: 19
    Glad we could help!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 1
    Is there a specific reason why you'd pursue Access as a commercial package instead of more robust platforms designed specifically for this sort of thing?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Mostly, it is because I know Access, well some at least. Where other packages, I assume you are talking about mysql or something like that. I know my initial client, has Access, where something else I would have to install for him also. Other than once trying to setup a personal World of Warcraft server, I haven't messed with db software other than Access.

Provided Answers: 1
    Embedded SQLite or SQL Express is fairly common now days.

If you're trying to position yourself as a commercial product, I don't know that I'd use Access at all. Unless you're writing Access components for other Access developers to use, I'm not sure it's the best choice.

On the other hand, if you don't really know the basics of software development, it might be a bit too ambitious to jump to something else.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***