Unanswered: CMDB for Databases - Database of Databases ?

Not sure whether this is the right forum to ask but here goes,

I am a SQL/Oracle dba for a large company, we have a lot of servers around the world with a lot of databases on and currently I am using a spreadsheet to keep track of this but its not the right tool.

I would live something that logs server, instance, database with the ability to compare what should be on a server with what is actually there, i.e. compare a real time "SP Databases" with the listed databases and to report any discrepancies, I would use this database to record passwords, narrative about each server, instance or database.

A lot of the commercial tools such as DBartisan from Embarcadero will connect in real time to both SQL and Oracle but it doesnt allow you to add information so you end up with a spreadsheet to record this in which isnt ideal, a tool that did this and the real time monitoring would be great but for now one for the CMDB aspect would be great, we have Infra and our change managment people are looking at incorporating database information but I dont think it will be flexible enough.

If such a tool were available would it be of any interest to you, is it something that could be useful ?

Provided Answers: 11
    I built my own database for all database information. I also have scripts that go out twice a day to record database file sizes for all of the databases here (just over 700 at last count). I have to say, it makes my life a heck of a lot easier. Even just being able to tell management we have over 700 databases comprising just over 2 TB of data makes them quiver. You should really add in a perl script that goes through the errorlog of each SQL Server instance and bring back a listing of interesting messages. Cuts down time spent scouring errorlogs tremendously.

Cheers, thats what I am considerign doing but was hoping there was a product out there that would do the job, I am the only full time DBA for the company and dont really have the time to develop something to save, sort of chicken and egg situation.

Cant find anything out there, been through every product, is this a gap in the market ?

Provided Answers: 11
    Might be. My budget has been $0 for long enough that I consider build pretty quickly.

We usually can convince our managment to spend money if there is a benefit as sometimes you need to spend money to save it in the long run, we tend to be short of time and developers to do the work as they are on more lucrative projects than a database for the DBA.

I found myself adding more functionality to the spreadsheet and then thought Hang On, is this the best way to do this, you end up with a monster spreadsheet with loads of code, no relational integrity and no validation.

I am interested in possibly having a go at writing something but will fall foul of,

Coding standards
    Toolset
    Developers opinions
    The fact I dont develop anything these days
    Learning Curves

etc etc,

What did you use ?

Going to take a look at Oracle Application express as a possible way of doing it.