Unanswered: Discover Oracle on Network

Hi, I have a large estate of Oracle and SQL Server to manage, I can discover the SQL stuff fairly well via the OSQL -l command that returns a list of SQL installations from the network, its not perfect but I cant find an equivalent for Oracle, ok I know most of it but I want to spt those old dev servers hanging around or whether someone has installed Oracle databases on a client machine !

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    I am unaware of any Oracle s/w which does what you desire

>whether someone has installed Oracle databases on a client machine
    I run Oracle RDBMS on my laptop without the listener.
    The only way you'd know it was on my laptop would be to actually logon & issue some OS commands looking for typical Oracle files.

I really don't think that any sort of actual inventory would be worth the time it would take to research & record results.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by anacedent
    I run Oracle RDBMS on my laptop without the listener.
    And even if you did, you could have a firewall that prevented connections to it from the outside.

but I want to spt those old dev servers hanging around
    You could try to telnet to the default port but that won't discover those installations that are using a different port.

I don't think there is a sure-fire way to identify an Oracle installation from the "outside"

Provided Answers: 11
    If you have SMS on the network, you can get SMS to report on the existence, or non-existence of a particular file. Some DLL from the Oracle installation directory should do. Won't help much for *NIX machines, though.

That just leaves you the problem of finding where Oracle might have been installed on a given box.

I asked our Marimba (SMS type thing) administrator to provide a list, looks quite useful and has turned up some suprises but its quite a manual process to go through them now.