Unanswered: VSAM and Tablespace

Hi, i need your help.
    I have a big simple tablespace and it takes 23 VSAM now, how many VSAM can to take a simple DB2 tablespace???
    I have DB2 V7.

Thanks.
    Carlos

I am not sure exactly what you mean, but I think your tablespace has gone into VSAM extents. Figure out how big the table is, and then alter the primary QTY on the tablespace, and the do a reorg. This will get rid of your extents.

It has been awhile since I knew these details, but at one time VSAM could have 127 extents (or something like that). They may have changed VSAM to allow more extents now, so I don't really know.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

hi Marcus, the tablespace reach the limit of extensions and it need more space, and it take another vsam files (23 now), how many space can to take the tablespace??
    I know that it takes a maximun of 32 VSAM in DB2 V8 (with a maximum size of 128 TB), but i dont know how many vsam files takes a tablespace in DB2 V7.

Sorry for my english..

Thanks.
    Carlos.

Provided Answers: 1
    Carlos, just to make sure we understand what you are asking.

Do you have a single VSAM file that is taking Extents?
    or
    Do you have multiple VSAM files being created?

I have only seen the multiple VSAM file happen once and I can't recall the specific situation that caused it.

If you have a single VSAM file taking extents, it can go up to 251 extents (may depend on operating system and level). The number of extents is controlled by your Primary and Secondary quantity you specified for the table space.

If this is the problem, you can Alter the Table space to increase the Primary and/or Secondary quantity followed by a Reorg (or Load Replace) to implement the changes.

NOTE: This is assuming you use STOGROUP to define the Table Spaces. If you defined the the datasets yourself, it is a little more involved.

Hi, i have multiple VSAM files due the original VSAM reach its extends(it need more than 43000 trks,its our limit for a VSAM space on our disc type), and it created another VSAM files for it takes more space in diferent discs.

We did the ALTER tablespace and increased the space to the maximun, before it creted the second VSAM files.
    My question is: How many space is the maximun for a Simple Tablespace(in DB2 V7), i read that is 16 TB is true??

thanks a lot,
    Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by carlos rodriguez
    My question is: How many space is the maximum for a Simple Tablespace(in DB2 V7), i read that is 16 TB is true??
    That's (almost) right. There's a maximum of 254 datasets, each having a max. DSSIZE of 64GB. Which results in 63.5 TB.
    Actually, the max. size may also depend on the page size you use (4K, 8K, 16K or 32K), and whether DB2 is running with DFSMS (it most likely is). Don't have the manuals at hand to check the details.
    --_Peter Vanroose,
    __IBM Certified Database Administrator, DB2 9 for z/OS
    __IBM Certified Application Developer
    __ABIS Training and Consulting
    __http://www.abis.be/

Provided Answers: 1
    For a 43,000 track Table space, I would highly recommend that you drop and recreate as a Partitioned Table space. My personal rule is if a table space larger than 3,000 or 4,000 tracks, then partition it.

PS I see you are on V7 (which is way out of support). I believe by V9, simple table spaces will not be supported (but I need to double check that).

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth_DBA
    I believe by V9, simple table spaces will not be supported (but I need to double check that).
    Not really: an existing simple TS can still be used, but no new ones can be created.
    Rumours are that the "next" version will contain a tool to do on-line conversion from any TS to universal TS. By looking at its design, it's apparent that this (new in DB2 9) TS type is meant to replace the others (segmented, partitioned) in the longer run.
    --_Peter Vanroose,
    __IBM Certified Database Administrator, DB2 9 for z/OS
    __IBM Certified Application Developer
    __ABIS Training and Consulting
    __http://www.abis.be/

Thanks stealth and Peter, thanks a lot for helpme.

Carlos.