Unanswered: query by name and find zip code close by

hello - here is my puzzle.

I have a table with clients and prospect in it called tbl_contacts

I have a created separate query - qry_prospects_retired (prospects within a given age range.)

I would like to be able to query the tbl_contacts on a @name parameter and find propsects in the qry_prospects_retired that match the first 4 characters of the zip code.

any thoughts are appreciated.

Here is what I have so far.. this is for a perfect match on zip - first 4 of the zip would be ideal.

Cheers!

SELECT DISTINCT
    TOP (100) PERCENT qry_prospects_retired_63_to_68.Contact AS PROSPECT, wce_contact.Contact AS CLIENT, wce_contact.Zip,
    qry_prospects_retired_63_to_68.Zip AS PZip, wce_contact.IDStatus, wce_contact.LastName, qry_prospects_retired_63_to_68.Phone,
    qry_prospects_retired_63_to_68.Address1, qry_prospects_retired_63_to_68.City, qry_prospects_retired_63_to_68.State,
    qry_prospects_retired_63_to_68.Cell, qry_prospects_retired_63_to_68.CLBD AS [Prospect BD], qry_prospects_retired_63_to_68.RepLastName,
    wce_contact.CLBD

FROM wce_contact INNER JOIN
    qry_prospects_retired_63_to_68 ON wce_contact.Zip LIKE qry_prospects_retired_63_to_68.Zip

WHERE (wce_contact.IDStatus LIKE N'%client%') AND (NOT (wce_contact.IDStatus = N'1 Pending Full Client')) AND
    (NOT (qry_prospects_retired_63_to_68.Zip IS NULL)) AND (NOT (wce_contact.Zip IS NULL)) AND (wce_contact.Contact = @select_client)

ORDER BY wce_contact.LastName

Provided Answers: 11
    well, this will collect zip codes that match by 4 digits, anyway.
    Code:
    declare @test table (zip varchar(12))

insert into @test 
    select '01234' union all
    select '01243' union all
    select '01235' union all
    select '01236' union all
    select '11234' union all
    select 'a01-b65'

declare @target_zip varchar(12)
    set @target_zip = '01231'

select *
    from @test
    where zip like left(@target_zip, 4) + '%'
    Even has a chance of using an index. I am not sure you should use this as a measure of closeness, between two zip codes, though. Actual areas may depend on population density.

great - that helps. Thanks!