Unanswered: Migrating DB2 from system i to AIX

HI Guys,

I am newbie to DB2 and rather comfortable with Informix and Oracle. Actually i have a client who has already migrated all its apps from system i to AIX and Linux. Only the DB2 Database is running on system i. Can someone tell me about the implication/challenges in migrating the DB2 from system i to AIX for example....

Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 11
    from db2 view, you can migrate the db to aix, if you have the ddl
    maybe db2look will work for collecting this from I/series (I have never tried)
    from aix make connection and export/import all data after ddl executed
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

I am told that the DB2 binaries for system i is a special version since the system i OS is itself an object based OS. to make it clear, i am told that a dedicated development team worked on DB2 for system i and another team for the rest of the Operating systems....How far this saying is true? And any experience/benchmarks regarding performance of DB2 on system i and the same DB2 on other OS.

Thanks in advance

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by adeebeely
    I am told that the DB2 binaries for system i is a special version since the system i OS is itself an object based OS. to make it clear, i am told that a dedicated development team worked on DB2 for system i and another team for the rest of the Operating systems....How far this saying is true? And any experience/benchmarks regarding performance of DB2 on system i and the same DB2 on other OS.
    I'd say that, apart from the name and the fact that their SQL dialects are very close, these are two completely different products.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Having moved data from from z/OS to DB2 on Linux, I can speak from some experience. Both z/OS and iSeries are EBCDIC and AIX is ASCII. The best way to do this is to set up a DB2 connection from a Windows or AIX box to the "host" database on iSeries. This will require that you set up a Type 2 connection with the following statements:

- catalog tcpip node
    - catalog dcs database (this is an extra step required to connect to z/OS or iSeries host)
    - catalog database

Then using the db2 command line in AIX, do a regular export of the tables:

db2 "export to employee.ixf of ixf select * from employee"

Then load or import the data onto DB2 for AIX using the export file created.

See if you can find someone in the company who has set up a type 2 connection from Windows to the iSeries database, and this will help you with doing the connection. Note that you will need a license for DB2 Connect to do this, but if you have DB2 ESE Version 8 (and I think V9, but not V9.5) it comes with a free license for DB2 Connect that allows you to connect to a iSeries or z/OS database.

You could do the export on Windows DB2 Command Line and then transfer it to AIX when you are done for the DB2 load/import.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A
    db2 "export to employee.ixf of ixf select * from employee"
    When you've got the system configured as you descibe, you can do a "load from cursor" and skip the ixf interface.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_te_z
    When you've got the system configured as you descibe, you can do a "load from cursor" and skip the ixf interface.
    Can you automatically create the table definition with load from cursor like you can with a REPLACE_CREATE ? I have never bothered to try it.

I would say that in most cases the benefit of being able to do a load from cursor is minimal, and I would prefer to have a static copy of the IXF file that I could load again if needed without going back to the host.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390