Unanswered: installing and running postgresql comments

Hello,
    I just read the online help here
    Running & Installing PostgreSQL On Native Windows - PostgreSQL Wiki

and I suprised that postgre will not support any of old systems like FAT32 or old os like winme.

I am developing a commercial application, my qustion should I exclude any one has an old system and use postgre or not ??

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by isaac_cm
    And I suprised that postgre will not support any of old systems like FAT32 or old os like winme.
    First: it's either Postgres or PostgreSQL, it's never postgre

my qustion should I exclude any one has an old system and use postgre or not ??
    Yes. I very much doubt that you'll lose a substantial number of potential customers with that restriction.

Neither FAT32 or Windows ME are suitable to run a database server (or any computer as a matter of fact)

Anyone using that (especially WinME) should upgrade. Every modern version of Windows (that means everything since Windows 2000) uses NTFS as the file system by default and for a good reason. NTFS is much more robust than FAT

ok thanks, sorry for sending you email, is there a document or something help me to know what every folder for, and what to exclude in final distribution ?

also about the 125 connection limitation, does it really happened on all pcs ?
    Last edited by isaac_cm; 08-12-09 at 14:35.

something help me to know what every folder for, and what to exclude in final distribution ?
    Not that I know of.
    You will simply need to try.

also about the 125 connection limitation, does it really happened on all pcs ?
    Which 125 connection limit?

What are you trying to do? If that is intended as a desktop application (with an integrated DB) 125 connections should be more than enough.

If you intend to distribute your application with a dedicated server then your question regarding FAT32 and Windows ME does not make sense at all.

- Does any client need to have postgres installed too ?

- about the connection limit I read in previous link about this problem and I am asking if that mean I will face problems if more than 125 are connected at the same time to the server.

I cannot run with more than about 125 connections at once, despite having capable hardware

When running as a service, you may experience failures with more than approximately 125 simultaneous connections. This can happen because some of the libraries that PostgreSQL is dependent on are dependent on user32.dll which allocates memory from an area known as the Desktop Heap. The desktop heap is assigned to each logon session, with non-interactive sessions typically being assigned 512KB. Each postgres process that runs typically consumes approximately 3.2KB of desktop heap, which coupled with other overhead can exhaust the allocated heap at somewhere around 125 connections. This doesn't happen when running from the command line (or more precisely, happens with much higher numbers of connections) because the interactive logon session is typically allocated 3MB of Desktop Heap.

You can increase the non-interactive Desktop Heap by modifying the third SharedSection value in the registry as described in this Microsoft Knowledgebase article. Note that this should be done with great care as specifying a value that is excessively high may prevent your system from booting.

- Does any client need to have postgres installed too ?
    That depends on your application, but I would very much assume so.

What is it that you are trying to do?

ordinary database application can run as a single user or as a client / server, in a client server mode the number of users will exceed 125 connection

Thanks

Does any client need to have postgres installed too ?
    If client in that question refers to "clients" in client/server, then no not every client must install the database server (that's what client/server is about).

If client is customer, than yes every customer than runs your software must install a server somewhere.

ordinary database application can run as a single user or as a client / server, in a client server mode the number of users will exceed 125 connection
    Using Windows for a real database server is probably not such a good idea.
    But apparently there are solutions for this problem (as described on the Wiki page) and not everybody has this problem.
    But have no experience with this, so I would suggest you post this to the postgres admin mailing list.

thanks, how I can access this mail list ??

thanks, how I can access this mail list ??
    PostgreSQL: Mailing Lists

sorry for my question but can be access by news reader or something else ?

Did you actually read the page?

"Before posting to a list, you may wish to search the archives.
    The mailing lists are also available at the PostgreSQL news server. However, in order to post to a list, you must still subscribe to that list (but it is possible to subscribe without receiving mail)
    "

no I did not read it

thanks