Unanswered: Update Excel with UniVerse

Hi, I need to update an Excel spread sheet from UniVerse. System Builder is not loaded on this server. Is it even possible? If so is there any documentation anywhere??

Thanks
    2 poor

Quote Originally Posted by toopoortoquit
    Hi, I need to update an Excel spread sheet from UniVerse. System Builder is not loaded on this server. Is it even possible? If so is there any documentation anywhere??

Thanks
    2 poor
    Yes it is possible... but without more details it's hard to say your best method... Is UV running on 'nix or Windows? What terminal program are you using (some have support for running local apps and somewhat clunkily interacting with them). Also check out the U2 UG. The mailing list is quite active and helpful, as well as check out the pickwiki... Lastly if you're producing Excel files from UV, I would check out NebulaXLite from Nebula R&D.

I am running UV on AIX. We use NetTerm (4.2.d).

Not familiar with netterm but the website mentions it does have VBA available. With VBA it's often possible to manipulate local files. Spectrum magazine had an artivle in the May/Jun 99 issue about VB and VBA from terminal programs. Check out Natec Systems - Articles for just creating new excel check out Tony G's program I mentioned above (don't like links in posts - I've never seen him do a straight link - always has a "remove-this" in there" - but a quick google search will bring it up easily). Tony's a great guy and always willing to help - you should talk to him. You can also check out the Mar/Apr 2002 issue of Spectrum for creating the older format Excel spreadsheets.

Back to the terminal program, you can also check out Accuterm... one of the programs I was thinking of in my previous post. With it you can manipulate the local user experience from the host (ie host push of files, execute & interact with other programs, etc.). Accusoft has a decent forum with a pretty active community that addresses these types of questions for Accuterm users. The one thing I wouldn't recommend with Accuterm (and others would disagree) is GUI apps - the speed is painful IMO.

Some links mentioned about (thought I wouldnt be able to post links but apparently I can)

Title: VBA, Visual Basic, Terminal Emulators: Which should I use - older article text for when to use VB vs VBA with MV databases
    DEVELOPMENT STRATEGIES SWINGING BACK TOWARD THE MAINSTREAM (Mar/Apr 2002 International Specturm Magazine) - PDF link on left side - download for article on creating excel
    mvCMS -- be sure to join mailing list
    http://(--remove.this--)nebula-rnd.com/ Tony Gs site.
    AccuSoft Enterprises maker of accuterm -- check out the forums there for help with excel with accuterm.

IBM's SB+ makes export to excel easier, but even way back when (20 years ago) you could create sequential (flat) files.
    Reports can be used to create csv or tab delimited files.
    &HOLD& is the natural place to write these files into before your ftp step.
    Ftp to a windows server to import to excel.