Unanswered: DB2 communication failure

We have an IBM System i5 with DB2 (v5r4). We also have a zLinux image with the following software:
    1. DB21085I Instance "db2inst1" uses "64" bits and DB2 code release "SQL09015"
      with level identifier "01060107".
      Informational tokens are "DB2 v9.1.0.5", "s080512", "MI00237", and Fix Pack
    2. IBM DB2-1.7.0 ODBC
    3. DBD-DB2-1.1

We would like the zLinux box to make calls (get,update,delete,etc) to the iSeries DB2 database. We have all the particulars for the DB2 database and we have written a php api to talk to the DB2 database. However, when the php is executed, we receive the following error:

• Connection Error
      Error Code: 42968
      Error Msg: [IBM][CLI Driver] SQL8002N* An attempt to connect to a host failed due to a missing DB2 Connect product or invalid license.* SQLSTATE=42968 SQL

Are we at an incompatible version of the DB2 client or are we missing additional software (i.e. DB2 Connect)? Licensing issue?

Thanks for any assistance.

You software has the right components to connect to an iSeries, but when you connect from Linux, UXIX, or Windows to "host" DB2 database on iSeries or z/OS, you need a license for DB2 Connect. DB2 Connect is actually a product in itself, but you really only need the license applied to the software you already have.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390