Red face Unanswered: JNR DBA needs SQL MASTERS to help!!

My feelings are that the task presented is more of a developer based task, to be implemented by us DBA's, so if anyone can share thoughts or advice I'd be in your debt!

I need to via the SQLCMD utility do the following tasks. The queries need to be of such a nature that they can be used on any database (thus I think with variables that will allow so?)

1. Database errors/alerts + mailed out

2. Check if services are running

3. Database backup (+Master)

4. Log backup

5. Database exports

6. SQLserver registry backup

7. Automated performance testing

8. Check for space in databases

9. Check for log space

10. Check for disk space

I can do these things via SSMS, but how possible is it to do this via SQLCMD?

Please help o ye SQL Brainiacs of the IT world!

I feel like an I D 10 T..

Provided Answers: 1
    Thi id10t is the person who does not realize that if would be better and cheaper to just purchase off-the-shelf software to manage your servers.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Sounds like someone I worked for back in the day. Are you at a top spirits and wine company by any chance ?

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm9
    My feelings are that the task presented is more of a developer based task, to be implemented by us DBA's, so if anyone can share thoughts or advice I'd be in your debt!

I need to via the SQLCMD utility do the following tasks. The queries need to be of such a nature that they can be used on any database (thus I think with variables that will allow so?)

1. Database errors/alerts + mailed out

2. Check if services are running

3. Database backup (+Master)

4. Log backup

5. Database exports

6. SQLserver registry backup

7. Automated performance testing

8. Check for space in databases

9. Check for log space

10. Check for disk space

I can do these things via SSMS, but how possible is it to do this via SQLCMD?

Please help o ye SQL Brainiacs of the IT world!

I feel like an I D 10 T..

look into sqlmaint.exe to do backups from the command line, as well as other functions.

Thanks + Another Question...

Hi all

thanks for replies.
    PMASchmed- Nope, not spirits and wine company, DBA consultants in South Africa
    Thanks for info re sqlmaint.exe- will investigate it!
    Blindman- wish I could do it through software and GUI's, but tasked to find another way.

Truly appreciate your input!

Another question.
    Is there a scripts I can run, on any company's server,that will figure out what drives & databases there are on that particular server/network, without me needing to input any parameters each time, and report on the size, errors etc. for each of those drives/disks. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm9
    Hi all

thanks for replies.
    PMASchmed- Nope, not spirits and wine company, DBA consultants in South Africa
    Thanks for info re sqlmaint.exe- will investigate it!
    Blindman- wish I could do it through software and GUI's, but tasked to find another way.

Truly appreciate your input!

Another question.
    Is there a scripts I can run, on any company's server,that will figure out what drives & databases there are on that particular server/network, without me needing to input any parameters each time, and report on the size, errors etc. for each of those drives/disks. ?
    You can do a NETVIEW to get a list of computers on a network, and take it from there, then do steps via tasklist on each one to see if it is running SQLServer, it will be some custom scripting you will need to do, whether you choose perl, NT Shell (cmd scripts) or some of the newer scripting languages. Get yourself a book or go to some of the 1000s of pages out there that contain instructions on how to do this.

if you go the Powershell route, be sure to check this out:
    SQL Server PowerShell Extensions - Home