Unanswered: Update a field based on content of most recent 7 entries of another field...

I have a pool league that I am a part of that wants to create a db to track league member results. I have the wins/losses working but one thing the president wants the db to take care of is the player rankings.

In our leage a player gets a rank to start based on his/her skill. That rank can change up or down based on the last 7 games they have played. For example if a player is ranked a 4 in 8-Ball to start, then they play seven games and out of that 7 games they win 5 games. Their rank would be increased to a 5. If they were to loose 5 games then their rank would be reduced to a 3.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this?

The rank can allways be calculated and therefore would never saved in the database as a field, just calculated with a query.

Can you post a .zip of your database or table structure?
    Windows Server 2003-8 / Terminal Services / SQL 2000 / Access 2003 / Office 2003-7 / Exchange 2003-7 / Blackberry Enterprise Server / AutoCAD / Lambert And Butler / Red Bull

I don't have my db with me right now but the structure so far is very basic:
    MEMINFOTable:member name, team name, rank
    MEMW-LTable:member name, game date, result
    TEAMINFOTable:team name, member name, team wins, team losses

I need to use the "rank" field in the MEMINFOTable beacuse my president also wants to be able to change a players rank manually based on his opinion of the player.

What I want is a query to look at the most recent 7 "results" in the MEMW-LTable and then update the "rank" in the MEMINFOTable accordingly.

Provided Answers: 1
    In that case, I would tackle the two concepts completely differently. You have a calculated/projected rank, and then you have the REAL rank. Give your boss a query that gives him the projected rank, then store an "actual rank" as it's own (non-calculated) field.

You might want to check with the APA/BPA too. I remember seeing some pre-baked utilities ready to go for automated league and rank management.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

So how would I write the formula to only look at the most recent 7 wins/losses? The reason I say "most recent" is becaue eventually the player will have about 25-30 games in a session but I only want to base their rank on the previous 7 games.

Provided Answers: 1
    You can use the "TOP" keyword to limit results in any query.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***