Unanswered: Simple question on calculating.

First off, this forum has helped me out amazing this far. coming from not knowing access, to being able to get myself into some trouble

I was asked by my boss to create an error tracking system for employees. My current problem is this.

I am not the user who fills out the report and I noticed that the Total Cost field in Form view was not being calculated correctly. So I decided to make it calculate on its own. (=([PRODUCTION HOURS]*65)+([ENGINEERING HOURS]*65)+[MATERIAL COSTS]+[FREIGHT COSTS]+[CUSTOMER COSTS]+[OTHER COSTS]) <--- these are fields the user fills out in the form

But since I did that the Main data table no longer records what the Total Cost from the form view is.

I need to be able to record this because when I pull a report of all the errors of a given month. I need to know the total cost of each error form as well as the grand total of all the errors.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Rob.

Do your calculation in the underlying query rather than in the ControlSource of a control on your form. Use the same query for your report.
    RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP, ac07, ac10 - WinXP Pro, Win7 Pro
    Please reply to this forum so all may learn.

Is it possible if you could give me an example on how to do that? I just don't know where the query to add a "new" category for total cost.

Provided Answers: 59
    select [PRODUCTION HOURS]*65)+([ENGINEERING HOURS]*65)+[MATERIAL COSTS]+[FREIGHT COSTS]+[CUSTOMER COSTS]+[OTHER COSTS]) as TotalCosts from MyTable order by some,column,or,other

I'd be very wary of hardcoding a vlaue such as 65 (presumably thats you cost/charegout rate) so I'd expect to pull that cost from another table
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    select [PRODUCTION HOURS]*65)+([ENGINEERING HOURS]*65)+[MATERIAL COSTS]+[FREIGHT COSTS]+[CUSTOMER COSTS]+[OTHER COSTS]) as TotalCosts from MyTable order by some,column,or,other

I'd be very wary of hardcoding a vlaue such as 65 (presumably thats you cost/charegout rate) so I'd expect to pull that cost from another table

I'm sorry I don't quite understand.

I guess my main problem is. I don't know how to make my table "add" field values from a form together. so in the above problem. I was able to add and display form data. but not take that calcualted data and place it in a table.

As for the 65 value. I fully agree and will change that.

You should not store calculated values in tables. Just calculate them again in a query when you need them.
    RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP, ac07, ac10 - WinXP Pro, Win7 Pro
    Please reply to this forum so all may learn.

I know. But I have no clue on how to calculate that in a query this is my problem.

Where can I find the option to do this?

copy the SQL from post 4 into a SQL view in the query designer

or

open the query browser
    add the table(s) required for your calcualtion
    add a column set its source to
    TotalCosts:[PRODUCTION HOURS]*65)+([ENGINEERING HOURS]*65)+[MATERIAL COSTS]+[FREIGHT COSTS]+[CUSTOMER COSTS]+[OTHER COSTS])

Ok so when I copy post 4 "([PRODUCTION HOURS]*65)+([ENGINEERING HOURS]*65)+[MATERIAL COSTS]+[FREIGHT COSTS]+[CUSTOMER COSTS]+[OTHER COSTS])" into the SQL I get a syntax FORM error. I even tried to add TOTALCOSTS:= infront of it.

As for query "browser" In new to access so terminology comes as I encounter it. I have access 2007 so basically I go

Click on my query to edit.
    Click desgin view.
    Insert in a column.
    (field name is blank)
    Add in exactly "TotalCosts:[PRODUCTION HOURS]*65)+([ENGINEERING HOURS]*65)+[MATERIAL COSTS]+[FREIGHT COSTS]+[CUSTOMER COSTS]+[OTHER COSTS])" in the Source database.

This did not work. It actually corrupted the query giving me an error about my network!?!? Naturally I had a backup file of course.

Where am I going wrong?

so either copy the full text
    select [PRODUCTION HOURS]*65)+([ENGINEERING HOURS]*65)+[MATERIAL COSTS]+[FREIGHT COSTS]+[CUSTOMER COSTS]+[OTHER COSTS]) as TotalCosts
    or
    add the text from post 8 to a column definition in a query desinger

as to how you do that in A2007 I haven't a scooby... I odn't use A2007

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    so either copy the full text
    select [PRODUCTION HOURS]*65)+([ENGINEERING HOURS]*65)+[MATERIAL COSTS]+[FREIGHT COSTS]+[CUSTOMER COSTS]+[OTHER COSTS]) as TotalCosts
    or
    add the text from post 8 to a column definition in a query desinger

as to how you do that in A2007 I haven't a scooby... I odn't use A2007
    Finally I was able to pull it!

Thanks for all your help.

I did it in query designer and entered in that data in the field coloumn.