Unanswered: Disappearing Indices?

Using Access '97 I'm trying to perform a simple .seek for a match/noMatch criteria (I've done it a bajillion times in other forms in this database and it's worked flawlessly).

Now, with this one table I get:
    "Run-time error '3015':
    'Item_Name' isn't an index in this table. Look in the Indexes collection of the TableDef object to determine the valid index names."

I looked in the Indexes for the table, it is an indexed, non-duplicating field.

I know it's spelled correctly (I copy/pasted it over from the table to my .seek method in a desperate attempt to find out what I'm doing wrong)

It's opening the correct table AFAIK (If I change the table name in the open command it has a fit and blows up before hitting the rs.Index line)

So I guess what I'm wondering is there a common bug that's in '97 that can cause this to happen or do I somewhere somehow have something flubbed?

I'm hoping someone here is feeling more coherent than I am this Friday afternoon and has more experience with '97...I was trained in XP and 2000...'97 was before my time.

Thanks,

Sam, I need a beer!

Decided to throw the Function code up just to be on the safe side. It's just a fast and ugly support function to check the table before allowing the user to add a value in an attempt to minimize duplication at entry time.

------------------CODE-------------

Private Function Test_Item(item As String)

Dim db As Database
    Dim rs As Recordset

Set db = CurrentDb
    Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("Item_Type")
    rs.Index = "Item_Name"
    rs.Seek "=", item

If rs.NoMatch Then
    Test_Item = True
    Else
    Test_Item = False
    End If

rs.Close
    db.Close

End Function

---------------END CODE-------------

Sam, yup...still need that beer

Provided Answers: 14
    Not sure it will help, but in your code you do not specify how the table has to be opened. Try: Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("Item_Type", dbOpenTable).

Have a nice day!