Unanswered: Newbie needs basic, quick help..stuck and frustrated

Hello,

If this is the wrong forum please let me know.

I have a .mdf file that i need to get access to - I installed sql server expres 2008 as i was told that was the oly way to open the contents and export (ultimately to a flat or .mdb file)..this is my first time using sql server, and while im usually good at learning quick and figuring something out, i cant seem to open the file through sqlxp 2008.

I'm using the import/export function through the start menu., and it starts the wizard. the default data source is SQL Server Native Client 10.0 - have no idea if thats right or wrong to get to the .mdf file..the server name is (mycomputername)SQLEXPRESS, and im using windows authentication.

for the dropdown for database, I see the default DB's that im guessing were provided on install..such as master, model, msdb etc. I'm expecting to see my database that i would like to open in this list but i do not. i copied and pasted my database of interest into C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\DATA (and a few other places) but on that dropdown arrow it still doesnt show..tried refreshing as well.

I just need to know how to open this puppy, im sure im missing something really simple but this is the first time ive used this or ventured into sql server land. any help would be sooo appreciated..thanks!

Provided Answers: 6
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

thanks but thats a bit too above my head..dont even know how to enter in text/syntax if i wanted too..the db should appear in the dropdown but its not.

again, last time i programmed was on an apple IIe in 1986. whats easy to you is very complex to me. i just want to open this damn file..thanks. if it matters, all i have is sql express.
    Last edited by puppychow; 08-16-09 at 20:57.

Have a go at editing the example in the first link in the Google search. All you need to do is provide a name for the database and the UNC path to the mdf file. It ain't even programming. Post here if you want someone to check.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by puppychow
    thanks but thats a bit too above my head..dont even know how to enter in text/syntax if i wanted too..the db should appear in the dropdown but its not.

again, last time i programmed was on an apple IIe in 1986. whats easy to you is very complex to me. i just want to open this damn file..thanks. if it matters, all i have is sql express.
    Holy crap, that's even Pre DBaseIII+ and Clipper Summer '87 days, yes I programmed with both back in the day.