Thread: Need a database

Unanswered: Need a database

I've never created a database before, so I need some help.

The new Access comes with Templates, but I'm not quit sure which one to
    choose. Here's what I'm going for:

Database info:

Access Level
    Level 1
    Level 2

Full name, Social Security Number, Duty Position, Access Level, Container(s) he has access to.

The Containers and Access Levels never change. Once the info is inputed, I want to be able to click a button for each container and have it create a Word document listing the names of only the folks with access to that container. The Word document Header and Footer would never change except for the date the form is being printed.

Welcome to the forums.

For starters, since you're new to database design, be sure you are familiar with the Relational Model. You will be kicking yourself later on if you don't first get your table structure right.

Secondly, I would discourage you from storing Social Security numbers, especially if you don't have experience making a database secure (and even then).

Third, I would look into just having a report with the information you're asking for. While possible, exporting to a Word doc is a much more complicated process than opening a report, typically involving VBA coding. And since you're new to this, you're probably going to want to crawl before you walk, walk before you run, you know.

Me.Geek = True

Provided Answers: 14
    Here is an example of what can be done.

Everything you're looking for is not in there, but it could be a start.

Have a nice day!
    Attached Files Attached Files