Unanswered:

Hi spudhead, thanks for the reply, and for clearing that up.

To be honest i dont mind if they see it. But from your first answer I'm reading it to mean, and i could be wrong here, that id have to hardcode all pdfs with links into my code? is that correct?

I'm curious how the second answer would be acieve, cuz you're right it does sound complex, bear in mind i have only been coding for 3 months now. Also, is there a right way or wrong way?

any info would be appreciated

Regards
    MG

is it possible to have a .pdf recordset?

Hi all,

I'm new to this world so please forgive me if this is a silly question.

I was wondering if it was possible to have a recordset of pdf files that can be displayed to a user in the form of a drop down menu, using ASP / stored procedures etc. When a user selects a specific file they want tio view they can then select it and load it in a new window?

I think, guess, that it is, but dont know where to start? Perhaps create the table populate with some test data. Write some code in the ASP page. Use STore procedure to populate the drop down menu....and then im stuck.

Any help pointers, examples etc will be great

Kind regards
    MG

Provided Answers: 1
    To get started, you may want to explore where your pdf's are going to be stored. If you choose to store them on disk, it simply becomes a matter of keeping track of where all your pdf's are and using ASP to direct the user to the correct pdf based on a menu selection (which will be passed as a form variable on post).
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Hi , thanks for your reply.

Well, at the moment im working on my local host, just to see if it all works. But when all appears ok, it will be transferred over to a server dedicated to this project.

I know I can get these pdf to appear in my drop down menu, but once selected? When they have been selected by the user, I guess I can have an "onchange submit" function? is that right?

Regards
    Mg

Hey all, just checking back.

I have been reading about FSO, and im thinking I need to look at in particular at ASP OpenTextFile? is that right?

I shall follow this white rabbit, hope im on the right tracks. If not please say.

Thanks all.

Regards
    MG

Provided Answers: 1
    No need. Unless you're trying to hide your PDF's from being "linkable". You can keep a database that stores where all your pdf's live and use ASP to resolve a "pdf_id" to a path, then squirt that in to a page.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Hi teddy, thanks for the reply.

How would i do that?

So far i have, a table with the names of the pdfs. and I also have the location of the pdf in the table, altho' i dont think thats entirely correct.

I have also created a drop down menu for these pdfs and they can be viewed.

Here is ASP:

Code:
    SELECT PDF LISTINGS <select onchange="window.open(this.value, '_blank');" name="zoneID" id="Select2">
                   <option value="0" > - Display Types - </option>
                        <%
                        sSQL = "exec spGetDisplayTypes"
                        SET oRS = oDB.Execute(sSQL) 
                        If Not oRS.EOF Then
                            While Not oRS.EOF
                                %>
                                <option value=""><%=oRS("displayTypesName")%></option>
                                 <%    
                                oRS.MoveNext
                            Wend
                        End If
                        %>
    But how do i get them to link to each pdf. I think this i the second bit of your reply, the pdf_id, but dont know how i would begin to do that?

regards
    MG

I think what Teddy is talking about is if you don't want your users to be able to see where the PDF files are actually located on your server.

If you don't mind them seeing the correct URL to the PDF in their browser address bar, then just put the location of the PDF into the "value" field of each <option> tag, and your code above should open it up.

If you do mind, then you'll need to link to a 'download' ASP page that accepts the PDF ID, looks up the filename from the database, uses an ADODB.Stream to read its contents, and then uses Response.BinaryWrite to pump the stream contents back down to the browser as ContentType "application/pdf". It's not as complicated as it sounds, though

Hi spudhead, thanks for the reply, and for clearing that up.

To be honest i dont mind if they see it. But from your first answer I'm reading it to mean, and i could be wrong here, that id have to hardcode all pdfs with links into my code? is that correct?

I'm curious how the second answer would be acieve, cuz you're right it does sound complex, bear in mind i have only been coding for 3 months now. Also, is there a right way or wrong way?

any info would be appreciated

Regards
    MG