Question Unanswered: MySQL Multiple Instance

Hi,

I would like to create multiple MySQL Instance in one server box using one version only or without installing other version. Is it possible?How

Thanks...

Thanks for the reply, the article is all about managing the multiple mysql servers..It makes sense but what I wanna know is how to create new mysql instance? I have MysQL 5.0 installed in my machine and I want to create new instance/server.

What do you mean with new instance ?
    What's the difference between a mysql server and a mysql instance ?

I have an existing MySQL Server then I like to create new MySQL server connecting to a new port number and have diffrent MySQL Service name. How can I do it using my Existing MySQL version. Is that possible? Do I really have to install MySQL version to create a new MySQL server/instance?

Thank tou..

No, please read that documentation again as it is exactly what that does.

You install MySQL once then from that you run multiple server instances each one using it's own port and data location. As far as the external world and users are concerned each one will appear as an entirely unique mysql server instance.

I suppose you could install MySQL a second time under a different installation directory. However i have no idea if you'll be able to run the second installation as a unique process next to the first one. I suspect it's a path where you're asking for trouble. At least with mysqld_multi you are using something that is documentated and should work.