Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Formulas not updating for no apparent reason

Hi

My colleagues in the finance department have built themselves a huge spreadsheet. It takes data from two external reporting databases and has manual inputs as well. One sheet summarises extracted/input values and is used in turn by other sheets.

For some reason, the formulas on this sheet are not updating. Even pressing F9 doesn't help - the users have to enter each calculated cell and press F2 to edit it, and then move on to the next one.

I've checked the Calculation settings, and everything there checks out (automatic is set, updating external references is enabled). I saw a post in this forum from a while back, when someone had a similar issue, but that was possibly caused by having brackets in sheets names, and was in Excel 2003. We're still on Excel 2000, and there are no sheets with brackets in their names.

Has anyone encountered this before? If so, is there a way to fix it?

TIA
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

I think it depends on the total number of formula calculations that have to be performed. CTRL+SHIFT + F9 should recalculate the entire workbook.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Provided Answers: 2
    Thanks!

I saw that one on another site later on yesterday, and have passed it to the user as a stop-gap. However, if the problem is due to the users overloading the workbook with calculations (not an unreasonable assumption!), they'll have to make do with it.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.