Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Help needed with access 2000 database and calculations.

Hi

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my issue. I have a database that was created for a cellular phone store. Unfortuneatly at the request of the owner he needs to change things up. The database has a simple 50 column table with two rows. Each row represents a month. This has information regarding reconcilation of the sales per month.

Now the issue I am having is how are the calucation being done. The form looks like a chart. I just need to know how the calculations are being done. I need to modify the formulas. I did everything! I even looked at the visual basic part and found nothing. I had multiple people in IT look at it. No one can figure this out. I was hoping someone here could help me figure this out and be done with it. If there is more information needed for this please let me know. I am willing to send the file somehow or even screen shots.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt

Provided Answers: 6
    You should be able to post the db here. Compact and zip so it's under the size limit.
    Paul

I will make sure to zip the database and upload it tonight. I really hope some out there can help me figure this out. I just need to know how the calcs are being done. I really want to use the same database.

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy
    You should be able to post the db here. Compact and zip so it's under the size limit.

Here is the database. Please unzip and take a look. It has a report called charts. I am trying to modify some of the calculations in the background. Please let me know if you can help. Thanks.

Update:
    The database has been removed.
    Last edited by MattsterJay; 09-03-09 at 16:13.

There is no report named charts, but there is a form called 3 Chart. Is that the one? Those values come from a query that is the record source of the form. It gets some values directly from a table called chart and some it calculates itself, like these taken at random:

N20: [A20]-[D20]
    T50-45: [N50-45]*200
    BONUS: [TOTALNET2]*30

If you have a particular calculation in mind, I can confirm where it comes from.
    Paul

To illustrate that this issue is not so straight forward. Look at the bottom of the chart. The "Post-Paid", "Pre-Paid", "Total-Act", and "ACT-COMM". How are these being calculated. They just have the name of the column from the chart table. For example TOTALPOST. Any help with explaining this and how the numbers are being generated would be greatly appreciated. I need to modify that number.

Thanks in advance.

They're there:

ACT-COMM: [T20]+[T30]+[T35]+[T40]+[T50]+[T60]+[T70]+[T75]+[T90]+[T140]+[TPREPAID]+[T50-30]+[T50-45]+[T50-60]+[T50-80]+[T50-120]+[T50-160]

TOTALACT: [TOTALPOST]+[TOTALPREP]

TOTALPOST: [A20]+[A30]+[A35]+[A40]+[A50]+[A60]+[A70]+[A75]+[A90]+[A140]+[A50-30]+[A50-45]+[A50-60]+[A50-80]+[A50-120]+[A50-160]

TOTALPREP: APREPAID

There are a lot of calculations depending on other calculations, but you should be able to follow them through. I did notice that those are also fields in the table, but those fields are not what's being used here.
    Paul

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. It may seem like a stupid quesiton but how can I get to the calculations. I opened the form "3 Chart" in design view but I can't find where the calculations are being made. Please describe what you are doing to see the calculations. I am sorry I am not very versed in Microsoft Access.

Thanks again,

When I open the "3 Chart" in design view the only thing that shows up is the following tabs.
    Format
    Data
    Event
    Other
    All

None of which have calculations that you have listed in the your previous post. Thanks again.

No problem Matt. What version of Access do you have? Basically, you need to get to the form's property sheet. On the Data tab you'll see a property called Record Source, which will start with "SELECT CHART.A20,". To the far right on that line, click on the ellipsis (...) which will take you into the query designer. As you scroll right through the fields, you will see some that are just "A20", and others with the colon as I posted above. The ones with the colon are the calculated fields. The ones without are coming straight from the table.
    Paul

I am running this in Access 2003. I still can't find record source. This seems to be the problem.

Looks like you were right there, as I hadn't seen you last post. You should see the Record Source on the Data tab. If you're seeing Control Source instead, you're looking at textbox properties or something instead of the form's.
    Paul

You are right I see the text box properties. Can you let me know how to get to the form properties.

Thanks,

Close the form, then open again in design view. Before you click on anything in the form, click on View/Properties. That should open the form properties. A shortcut is to double click on the box at the intersection of the horizontal and vertical rulers in the upper left hand corner of the form, if you have them displayed.
    Paul

Thank you so mush paul. You really felt helpless. Thanks again! You are awesome.