Thread: getting started

Unanswered: getting started

Hi,
    I am new to sybase. I do have experience with database admin (oracle). I know general db concepts. What would be a good way to get started. Can I download s/w and documentation like for oracle, install it on my pc etc. Or is sybase on PC SQL Server. Any guide/doc/paper/note to get sybase terms corresponding to oracle terms so I can understand better.Thanks. Sorry if this is a repeat question. Any other help is appreciated. Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    Sybase has 3 database products
    ASE - Adaptive Server Enterprise,
    ASIQ - Adaptive Server IQ and
    SQL Anywhere or ASA

Here are some links related to ASE
    What is Sybase ASE
    Where to get a free copy of Sybase ASE
    SyBooks Online

thank you

pdreyer,
    Thank you.

Of the below links : The first two did not work for. I went to the last one and was able to go thru the books. Thanks a lot. I need to get started with tasks like login to database, simple select quries, shutdown and startup of database.

Thanks

What is Sybase ASE
    Where to get a free copy of Sybase ASE
    SyBooks Online

The Sybase doco (as with Oracle) is for reference, and very necessary when you need to look something up, but it is not a good way to get started. I would suggest you buy one of the better Sybase Admin books on the open market. These have good sections for Oracle/MS DBAs switching to Sybase; as well as "how to do a task" sections.

Sure, you can get a free developer version of ASE, but that is a steep learning curve (as with Oracle), unless you know "how to do a task".
    Regards
    Derek Asirvadem (Formerly DerekA)
    Information Architect / Senior Sybase DBA
    Copyright 2009 Software Gems Pty Ltd

I answer questions from the Original Poster only. If you have a genuine question, as the moderators have requested, start a new thread.

http://www.softwaregems.com.au