Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: How to Query for People Age 70 or Older?

Hey guys,

I am trying to write a query that will return all people who are age 70 or older. The confusing part is I need to see people who have are 70 or older as of 07-01-2009.

My query so far only looks for people who turned 70 within the entire year of 2009. I know I'm close, but just confused on how to query to look at a specific date.

Code:
    SELECT A.MBR_SSN_NBR AS SSN,                                                   
              A.MBR_F_NM AS FIRST_NAME,                                               
              A.MBR_L_NM AS LAST_NAME,                                                
              CHAR(A.MBR_BIRTH_DT, USA) AS BIRTH_DATE,                                
              YEAR(A.MBR_BIRTH_DT) AS BIRTH_YEAR,
              YEAR(CURRENT DATE) - YEAR(A.MBR_BIRTH_DT) as AGE

FROM DSNP.PR01_T_MBR A,
          DSNP.PR01_T_MBR_SYS B
     where A.MBR_SSN_NBR = B.MBR_SSN_NBR
     and YEAR(A.MBR_BIRTH_DT) <= 1939  
     and A.MBR_BIRTH_DT <> '01/01/0001'
     and B.mbr_stat_cd = '1'

Can anyone help?

Try this to see if it works:
    A.MBR_L_NM AS LAST_NAME,

FROM DSNP.PR01_T_MBR A,
    DSNP.PR01_T_MBR_SYS B
    and A.MBR_BIRTH_DT < '07/01/1939'
    and A.MBR_BIRTH_DT <> '01/01/0001'
    and B.mbr_stat_cd = '1'

Why do not use AGE in predicate ?

A.MBR_L_NM AS LAST_NAME,

FROM DSNP.PR01_T_MBR A,
    DSNP.PR01_T_MBR_SYS B
    YEAR(CURRENT DATE) - YEAR(A.MBR_BIRTH_DT) >= 70
    and A.MBR_BIRTH_DT > date('0001-01-01')

and B.mbr_stat_cd = '1'
    Lenny

Provided Answers: 5
    Using YEAR(CURRENT DATE) - YEAR(DATE_OF_BIRTH) is not accurate. If a person is born on 12/31/1939 and the current date is 08/31/2009, then your expression will say that that person is 70 when in fact they are only 69. A better way is to do this: current date - 70 years >= date_of_birth.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ARWinner
    Using YEAR(CURRENT DATE) - YEAR(DATE_OF_BIRTH) is not accurate. If a person is born on 12/31/1939 and the current date is 08/31/2009, then your expression will say that that person is 70 when in fact they are only 69. A better way is to do this: current date - 70 years >= date_of_birth.

Andy
    Hi Andy,

You are correct which is why I want my query to only include people who are 70 or older as of 7/01/2009. It looks like your query works. The last birthdate in my return results is 08/27/1939.

I also tried:

and CHAR(A.MBR_BIRTH_DT, USA) <= '07-01-1939'

This did not work. It returned people who had birthdates after 1939. I am puzzled why it failed. Any idea why? Thanks for all the help everyone!

Andy
    That is true Andy, but can you solve a sudoki puzzle using SQL

BTW. Remove and A.MBR_BIRTH_DT <> '01/01/0001' from the SQL. It is totally redundant check.
    --
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

Quote Originally Posted by rockdave35
    Hi Andy,

You are correct which is why I want my query to only include people who are 70 or older as of 7/01/2009. It looks like your query works. The last birthdate in my return results is 08/27/1939.

I also tried:

This did not work. It returned people who had birthdates after 1939. I am puzzled why it failed. Any idea why? Thanks for all the help everyone!
    Maybe because your format is different

db2 "select CHAR(current date, USA) from sysibm.SYSDUMMY1"

----------
    08/31/2009

1 record(s) selected.
    --
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

Provided Answers: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdave35

I also tried:

This is because you are now comparing strings and not dates. '06-30-2003' is less than '07-01-1939'.

Andy

Provided Answers: 1
    Try this:
    Code:
              A.MBR_L_NM AS LAST_NAME,                                                
              YEAR(CURRENT DATE - A.MBR_BIRTH_DT) as AGE

FROM DSNP.PR01_T_MBR A,
          DSNP.PR01_T_MBR_SYS B
     and YEAR(CURRENT DATE - A.MBR_BIRTH_DT) >= 70  
     and B.mbr_stat_cd = '1'
    When you subtract a date from a date you get a date duration. this is an interger that contains the number of year, months and days the dates are different. For example:
    CURRENT DATE - DATE('1920-10-11') returns 881020 which is 88 years 10 months and 20 days. You can use the YEAR function to extract just the year since that is all you need.

PS You can, of course, use any starting date instead of CURRENT DATE that you like or need.

Why not use "and A.MBR_BIRTH_DT < DATE('07/01/1939') - 70 YEARS"?

Provided Answers: 1
    tonkuma, there is nothing wrong with your example (just as there is probably nothing wrong with most of the other suggestions) in the WHERE CLAUSE. But the request also returns the Age in the Select and you can't use that (or most of the others) in the Select and ensure a correct answer. This may not be true when the Where clause if factored in but subtracting the Year of one date from the year of another date is not an accurate way to get someone's age. If you birth date was Jun 30, that would indicate you are the same age on Jan 1 as you would be on Dec 31.

By using the Date - Date, the date duration handles all of that for you. Since I use it in the Select, I didn't see any reason to use different logic in the Where clause.

But as with most SQL, there are many different ways to get a result.

Andy
    In this case YEAR(CURRENT DATE) - YEAR(DATE_OF_BIRTH) AS AGE on SELECT clause is not good, too.

But anyway, thanks

You can see a difference between:

year(current date) - year(date('1962-10-12'))
    and
    year(current date - date('1962-10-12'))

Just run the query:

select
    year(current date) - year(date('1962-10-12')) wrong,
    year(current date - date('1962-10-12')) righ
    from sysibm.sysdummy1
    So, just make the right change and you'll the right query:

A.MBR_L_NM AS LAST_NAME,
    YEAR(CURRENT DATE - date(A.MBR_BIRTH_DT)) as AGE

FROM DSNP.PR01_T_MBR A,
    DSNP.PR01_T_MBR_SYS B
    YEAR(CURRENT DATE - date(A.MBR_BIRTH_DT)) >= 70
    and A.MBR_BIRTH_DT > date('0001-01-01')
    and B.mbr_stat_cd = '1'
    Lenny

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny77
    In this case YEAR(CURRENT DATE) - YEAR(DATE_OF_BIRTH) AS AGE on SELECT clause is not good, too.

But anyway, thanks
    Ok, I'm confused again. How can I get their actual age in the Select statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth_DBA
    Try this:
    Code:
              A.MBR_L_NM AS LAST_NAME,                                                
              YEAR(CURRENT DATE - A.MBR_BIRTH_DT) as AGE

FROM DSNP.PR01_T_MBR A,
          DSNP.PR01_T_MBR_SYS B
     and YEAR(CURRENT DATE - A.MBR_BIRTH_DT) >= 70  
     and B.mbr_stat_cd = '1'
    When you subtract a date from a date you get a date duration. this is an interger that contains the number of year, months and days the dates are different. For example:
    CURRENT DATE - DATE('1920-10-11') returns 881020 which is 88 years 10 months and 20 days. You can use the YEAR function to extract just the year since that is all you need.

PS You can, of course, use any starting date instead of CURRENT DATE that you like or need.

Thank you Stealth for your explanation. Just to clarify, in DB2, I can not subtract two string values. However, the date functions converts to integer values which can then be subtracted. Is this correct?