Thread: Search Query

Unanswered: Search Query

Does anyone have any idea why one works and one doesn't.

This returns all records containing "THREAD"

SELECT GageList.GageNumber, GageList.GageSize, GageList.GageDescription, GageList.GageClass, GageList.CalibrationDate, GageList.GageStatus, GageList.CurrentLocation, GageList.CalibrationFrequencyYrs, GageList.CalibrationVerificationMethod
    FROM GageList
    WHERE (((GageList.GageDescription) Like "*THREAD*"));

This returns all record for what the combo box "GageDes" equals.

SELECT GageList.GageNumber, GageList.GageSize, GageList.GageDescription, GageList.GageClass, GageList.CalibrationDate, GageList.GageStatus, GageList.CurrentLocation, GageList.CalibrationFrequencyYrs, GageList.CalibrationVerificationMethod
    FROM GageList
    WHERE (((GageList.GageDescription)=[Forms]![frmPrintReportByDesc]![GageDesc]));

This doesnt return any records at all:

FROM GageList
    WHERE (((GageList.GageDescription) Like "*Forms![frmPrintReportByDesc]![Combo34]*"));

The only difference in all 3 statements is the "Like" argument.

Really all i'm trying to do is us the value entered into the form filter records in a query to drive a report that finds all records containing a value entered into the form. As in this example the operator enters THREAD into the text box in the search form and clicks a button that opens the report so only the records containing THREAD will show up in the report. The top SQL statement from the query in my database works but when i replace "*THREADS*" with "*Forms![frmPrintReportByDesc]![Text23]*" no records are returned.

Provided Answers: 6
    Try

...Like "*" & [Forms]![frmPrintReportByDesc]![Combo34] & "*"
    Paul

Thats it, works perfectly. Bad thing is i was almost there
    i had

'*"&[Forms]![frmPrintReportByDesc]![Combo34]&"*'

This is just something i found in someone elses search macro. I didnt even know i was even in the ballpark. Thanks a bunch Paul.