Director, Interactive Applications Development Technology
These are two full time employment opportunities in NY City with a long time client. No H1s. Relocation assistance to successful applicants. Competitive compensation includes bonus and generous benefits package.
• Wide and large scale project management and implementation experience in the interactive space
• Must have experience managing 20+ developers on interactive projects which span a minimum of 6 months
• Must be able to articulate a level of detail regarding the program management aspects of one’s project experiences focusing not only on technology but on management style, methodologies, and how one managed on a program management basis.
• Regards methodologies, we are looking for someone who may have worked with several different methodologies successfully who can explain why one was used over another. Someone who is more process oriented and not really into any particular methodology would be a good fit in this area. Note that an iterative methodology is in use but it is not Scrum or Agile per se.
• There are 2 Director positions: one will be in charge of the client’s main web site, which is being re-launched in a major way, and in charge of B2B, and managing a couple of teams. The other Director position will be in charge of a broadband initiative being launched with several MSOs.
The Interactive Technology Group encompasses the client’s properties, B2B sites and new business development centered on new and emerging technology platforms (mobile and wireless, IP-delivered / broadband video, interactive television / OCAP / EBIF, etc.). This is a group whose purpose is to work with business partners to identify new and exciting distribution platforms, and to architect and deliver compelling solutions to enable the continued growth of the client’s brands.
The Interactive Technology Director will work closely with the Vice President, Interactive Technology and is responsible for managing a group of 2-4 Managers who ultimately oversee 10-20 application development staff (Software Engineers, Project Leaders and Business Analysts) and external consultants or vendors focused on supporting and developing applications centered on the client’s web properties and new and emerging technology platforms (mobile and wireless, IP-delivered / broadband video, etc.).
Successful candidates for this position must have experience in managing large software development projects and prior experience in Web and other interactive technology development. Past hands-on technical experience (Java application development, database development, etc.) is a plus, but is not required.
As the Interactive Technology Group focuses heavily on new business development, successful candidates must be flexible enough to grasp new platforms and paradigms very quickly, and should be prepared to think “out of the box” when necessary. Successful candidates must also be able to work effectively in both structured projects/teams and non-structured, “Skunk Works” style R&D while contributing constructive solutions and guidance.
• Matrixed IT staff management, including staff development, performance evaluations, resource allocation and project scheduling.
• Recommending, suggesting, and managing application development vendors through all phases of the project life cycle, including SOW and contract negotiation.
• Ensuring project success by creating and reviewing project plans, timelines, estimates, and requirements documents, and guiding staff to improvement and greater accuracy in these areas.
• Act as program manager overseeing software development projects with responsibility for project planning and control, including projects that involved other IT groups (infrastructure, DBA, etc.).
• Oversee regular project status reporting to the Project Steering Committee.
• Overseeing the team’s project portfolio planning and prioritization.
• Liaise with our business clients to evaluate business solutions and strategy, identify ways to increase client satisfaction, and manage expectations.
• Establishing relationships with staff augmentation vendors for scalable, multi-sourced resources.
• Assist the Vice President in creating the departmental budget.
• 10+ years total experience with Internet / new media development.
• 7+ years of Internet / new media development experience with technologies such as Java, J2EE, Oracle, Weblogic, ASP, .Net, Perl, PHP, SQL, Ajax, Flash/Flex, Ruby-on-Rails, etc.
• 7+ years experience managing direct reports, project staff and consultants.
• Experience in requirements gathering, use case development, determining business process flow and task mapping.
• Experience with mobile and wireless development a plus.
• A thorough understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and Rapid Application Development (RAD) are critical
• Typically have a BSC/BS/BA in Computer Science or a related field.
• The ability to multi-task and be detail oriented.
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills in order to interface with various departments and management levels, make presentations to an internal audience, interact positively with upper management, and effectively manage a staff of 10+ direct reports.
• Excellent customer focus and awareness of the importance of the customer in a service organization.
• Excellent problem solving skills, and the ability to interact with all levels of technical and non-technical staff.
• Experience in creating documentation of technical systems, training users in complex topics, and operational procedures.
• Strong attention to detail.