Unanswered: Production System : Connect to DB hang !

Hello All,
    We have few monitoring jobs which connect to the database on a
    regular basis to ensure that the database is up. If these jobs cannot
    connect within a reasonable period they issue a service outage notice.
    We had these service outage notices for 3 minutes. Usually connect to DB takes less than 10-15 seconds. So we want to find the cause of this hang.
    Its V9.5fp1 on AIX.

I know we will have to capture the below data when such hang occurs.
    But our problem is we dont know when this hang will occur and this hang stays for 2-3 mins and mostly in night time, so its hard for us to run these commands during the problem.
    db2pd -edu
    db2pd -stack all
    db2pd -dump all
    db2pd -latches
    db2pd -eve
    ipcs -a

I am not good in scripting lang.
    Can you give me the script that monitors the connection to DB and if connect does not get successful in sat 2 mins we will need to run above commands.

If I were you, I would "activate" the database. It should not take 10-15 seconds to connect unless you are the only current connection. If the database is already activated, then you should connect right away even if you are the only the connection.

Also, there have been some problems reported with initial connection times that is fixed in 9.5 FP4, especially if you have large bufferpools.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Well, we need to focus on the original issue Marcus.
    Need the script that monitors the connection to DB and if connect does not get successful in sat 2 mins we will need to run above commands.

This thread just reinforces what I said earlier about people who have "db2" included in their forum name (at least for 95% of them).
    M. A. Feldman

cool, this answers your understanding of db2 knowledge :-) isn't it?
    I believe you need some education about how to focus on problem rather than spreading own words unnecessarily at unwanted place :-)
    Admins should take some serious actions against such persons who take the thread away from the actual topic and moving into their own world.
    Good luck for your future work MaRcUs

this is priceless. Ignorance is A bliss
    --

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny80db2
    cool, this answers your understanding of db2 knowledge :-) isn't it?
    I believe you need some education about how to focus on problem rather than spreading own words unnecessarily at unwanted place :-)
    Admins should take some serious actions against such persons who take the thread away from the actual topic and moving into their own world.
    Good luck for your future work MaRcUs
    You will have to excuse me. I thought the problem is that your db connection is hanging. I specifically mentioned a problem reported by IBM that "might" be applicable in your case. I have experienced this problem myself with 9.5 FP 3 and found a potential fix in FP4.

If you don't want to focus on fixing the problem that is your privilege and I will not interfere in your scripting lesson. It seems doubtful to me that capturing all that info at the time of the hang would really help you solve the problem anyway.
    M. A. Feldman