Thread: Moving Postgre

Unanswered: Moving Postgre

I am running postgre 8.3 on windows xp. I use it for my poker dbase.

I am having some serious issues with my computer and cannot access the dbase in order to do a backup or export. I cannot do much with the system right now at all...VERY unstable. I feel I may need to reformat the hard drive and do a fresh windows install.

That said....

Can I copy the postgre files I have (ie the directory it resides within)....and when I have the fresh windows install...paste these files and be able to access my data?

So essentially reinstall postgre 8.3 and then take the files I have from the old system and paste them into the directory where postgre is...and have access?

Or am I out of luck?

If I am not out of luck...which specific files or directory should I copy?

Thanks for you help. I do not have much experience with the dbase. I was able to get it installed...and it works great with poker tracker...etc. Outside of that I do not do much with am pretty unfamiliar with all the workings.

Olympia, WA
    You can copy the data directory and restore it. It sounds like the Postgres service is not running. If it is running go to Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Services and shut down the Postgres service.

The copy data folder. It defaults to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data.

PostgreSQL: Documentation: Manuals: PostgreSQL 8.3: File System Level Backup

BTW, it is Postgres or PostgreSQL not Postgre.