Unanswered: Selecting sequence inside row copy query.

Hello folks,

I have a scenario where I have to duplicate insert a record inside the same table. I am having problem in generating the serial for the insert query as the id field in the table is a sequence field.
    Here is my query
    Code:
    INSERT INTO ADMINISTRATOR.UWPROPTRTY (GENTREATYSRNO, GENTREATYYEAR, GENTREATYCODE, GENSUBBUSICLASS, GENCLIENTCODE, GENCURRCODE, GENENTRYDATE, GENTREATYDATEFROM, GENTREATYDATETO, GENDESCRIPTION, GENPTRTYSTATUS, DATETIME, LASTMODIFYBY, TERMINALID, GENRENEWSTAT, PREVTRTSRNO)
     values (select (SELECT NEXTVAL FOR administrator.ptrt_seq as seqid FROM sysibm.sysdummy1), GENTREATYYEAR, GENTREATYCODE, GENSUBBUSICLASS, GENCLIENTCODE, GENCURRCODE, GENENTRYDATE, GENTREATYDATEFROM, GENTREATYDATETO, GENDESCRIPTION, GENPTRTYSTATUS, DATETIME, LASTMODIFYBY, TERMINALID, GENRENEWSTAT, PREVTRTSRNO from administrator.uwproptrty where gentreatysrno=261 )
    Help me guys
    Best regards, Mike.

What is your problem?

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do, but if want to find out what value was used in an insert with a NEXTVAL FOR sequence-name, then you should look at the FINAL TABLE syntax.

Select GENTREATYSRNO from FINAL TABLE (
    INSERT INTO ADMINISTRATOR.UWPROPTRTY
    (GENTREATYSRNO, GENTREATYYEAR, GENTREATYCODE, GENSUBBUSICLASS, GENCLIENTCODE, GENCURRCODE, GENENTRYDATE, GENTREATYDATEFROM, GENTREATYDATETO, GENDESCRIPTION, GENPTRTYSTATUS, DATETIME, LASTMODIFYBY, TERMINALID, GENRENEWSTAT, PREVTRTSRNO)
    values (NEXTVAL FOR administrator.ptrt_seq, GENTREATYYEAR, GENTREATYCODE, GENSUBBUSICLASS, GENCLIENTCODE, GENCURRCODE, GENENTRYDATE, GENTREATYDATEFROM, GENTREATYDATETO, GENDESCRIPTION, GENPTRTYSTATUS, DATETIME, LASTMODIFYBY, TERMINALID, GENRENEWSTAT, PREVTRTSRNO)
    );
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

I cannot select the next sequence as the primary key for the row I am inserting inside my select statement. Because select next val for seq)as id is not working with multiple select.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkuma
    What is your problem?

Thanks for the reply Marcus. I am trying to insert a row again in the same table with a new serial. I have limitation in my table that the primary key is a sequence field so that's why I am trying to select nextval from the sequence so I could fetch the primary key to insert for the new row.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A
    I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do, but if want to find out what value was used in an insert with a NEXTVAL FOR sequence-name, then you should look at the FINAL TABLE syntax.

Select GENTREATYSRNO from FINAL TABLE (
    INSERT INTO ADMINISTRATOR.UWPROPTRTY
    (GENTREATYSRNO, GENTREATYYEAR, GENTREATYCODE, GENSUBBUSICLASS, GENCLIENTCODE, GENCURRCODE, GENENTRYDATE, GENTREATYDATEFROM, GENTREATYDATETO, GENDESCRIPTION, GENPTRTYSTATUS, DATETIME, LASTMODIFYBY, TERMINALID, GENRENEWSTAT, PREVTRTSRNO)
    values (NEXTVAL FOR administrator.ptrt_seq, GENTREATYYEAR, GENTREATYCODE, GENSUBBUSICLASS, GENCLIENTCODE, GENCURRCODE, GENENTRYDATE, GENTREATYDATEFROM, GENTREATYDATETO, GENDESCRIPTION, GENPTRTYSTATUS, DATETIME, LASTMODIFYBY, TERMINALID, GENRENEWSTAT, PREVTRTSRNO)
    );

Provided Answers: 1
    The syntax of your INSERT is incorrect. Check the manual.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Hi..

Hello thanks for the replies,

The "values" in insert statement was creating problems. After I removed it its working fine now . Thanks to you folks I am saved from my boss once again