Talking Unanswered: ASP Image Question

Alright I have 8 images on a page. I have a couple of companies labeled 1 through 8 and I need to drag information depending on the company from a database I have the code written for the information to come out of the database. What I need to know is how to make it so I can pass number 1 through 8 on to the other page so I can reference it in my code.

So:

Image - click on 1 of the 8 images.

if you click on image 1 it takes the number 1 brings it to another asp page and inserts it into the while statement so only information pertaining to that company comes up. Again I have the code written for the while statement on another page I just need to pass that image number on to the while statement asp page. I know you can do this in php by using a session but is there something similar in asp? I just need the number 1 in a field so I can type.

WHERE tProductType.lID = numberofimage
    Last edited by bingo_barns; 09-09-09 at 13:54.

Just use the querystring:
    Code:
    http://somesite.com/details.asp?num=1
    Then obtain the value on the next page as:
    Code:
    num = Request.QueryString("num")
    Ax

So is that done in basic html as an a href or do I open up my tags for asp? I'm extremely new to asp only been using it for 3 days.

The URL will be in the image link anchor tag (e.g. <a href="...). Obtaining the querystring variable will need to be done within server-side scripting (<%...%>).

Dandy man, I appreciate the help!

No problem!

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'num'.

/vendors.asp, line 17

I'm getting this error though

num = Request.QueryString("num")

sql ="SELECT tVendor.sVendorName," &_
    " tVendorType.sVendorTypeDesc,tVendor.sVendorImg,tVe ndor.sVendorWebsite,tProductType.lID" &_
    " FROM tVendor INNER JOIN tVendorType ON tVendor.lid = tVendorType.lVendorID" &_
    " INNER JOIN tProductType ON tVendorType.lProductTypeID = tProductType.lID" &_
    " WHERE tProductType.lID = num"

Change it to:
    Code:
    sql ="SELECT tVendor.sVendorName," & _ 
    " tVendorType.sVendorTypeDesc,tVendor.sVendorImg,tVendor.sVendorWebsite,tProductType.lID" & _
    " FROM tVendor INNER JOIN tVendorType ON tVendor.lid = tVendorType.lVendorID" & _
    " INNER JOIN tProductType ON tVendorType.lProductTypeID = tProductType.lID" & _
    " WHERE tProductType.lID = " & num

hahaha! thank you! god love ya!

Provided Answers: 10
    I suggest you change it to a stored procedure or at the very least a parameterised query! That is very easy to SQL Inject
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 1
    I think now would be a VERY good time to walk ALL THE WAY through a good classic asp tutorial. You're treading in dangerous territory.

This one isn't too bad:

ASP Tutorial
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

My solution was not meant to be a complete solution. To prevent the risk of SQL injection, just make sure to check whether the query string parameter is numeric (hint: use the IsNumeric function). You can then handle a non-numeric parameter accordingly (display an error or redirect back to image selection page).

Ax

Ok, I will do that Ax238. I definitely do need to read up on asp also.